Pages

Friday, October 8, 2021

Book Review: Promises of Gold by Serena Clarke


Book Description:

When Emmalene’s father brags that she can spin straw into gold, word soon reaches the king and she is taken to him to prove she has this ability. Knowing magic is outlawed in the kingdom, she has kept her own magical ability a secret but spinning straw into gold was impossible for her to do. Now she must prove her father’s tale to be true or risk the wrath of the king.

The only person who can save her is the legendary Rumpelstilkin. When he doesn’t appear, but sends one of his followers, she is grateful for his assistance but soon finds that she is falling for the charming man. When the king begins to show interest in Emmalene, will she choose to follow her heart or sacrifice her happiness to save the lives of those she loves?

Review:

I generally enjoy fairy tale retellings, so I was excited to have a chance to read this book. I was very interested how the author was going to remake the tale of Rumplestiltskin.

I really enjoyed the first half of this story. It was a little choppy at first, but after a few chapters, I was able to engage in the story. I'm not sure what happened, but after Red came back, things got...weird. This might be a slight spoiler alert, but the whole wedding thing just weirded me out. Things were all explained near the end of the story, but I think that rather than telling the reader these important things in flashbacks, it would have been so much better to let us see them as they were happening. The story would have made so much more sense, and that disturbing factor wouldn't have been there, so at least for me, I would have been able to enjoy the story more than I did. 

Other than that, the characters were enjoyable. I think Talbot was my favorite, and I really hope he gets his own story.

Title:Promises of Gold
Author: Serena Clarke
Publisher: Independently Published
Published: June 2021
ISBN: 979-8521407729
Source: I received an e-copy from the author. All opinions expressed are my own. 
 
Purchase: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment