Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Book Review: A Child of God by Chantel and Mauli Bonner

Book Description:

A rhyming, read-aloud book with warm illustrations conveys a comforting, faith-filled message from a Black father and mother to their children who see visual representations of their faith, but question what it means when they don't see their skin color, their physical features, or their gender portrayed.

"What about the angels, will they stop and stare, when they see that I may not have their same color hair?" asks the girl.

In soothing verse, the father assures his children that everyone looks like Jesus and the angels by the things they do. As the family walks through their neighborhood, the father points out the beauty in God's creations, from flowers, all unique and different, to all the children in their community "each with skin a different shade." He reminds his children that pictures of faith such as angels were drawn by someone and encourages his children to draw their own pictures so angels look like all of us.

Rorie's Review:

My kids are all older than the age this book is geared towards, but they all love reading, so my younger two read it anyway. I have a review from one of them that I will post next, but first I'll give my review. The message given is very direct and easy to understand. The illustrations are engaging, bright, and colorful. I highly recommend that every family with young kids read this book to their kids. Maybe even base a Family Home Evening off of it. And then keep it in a prominent place so your kids can read it often. 

Here is my 9-year-old's review: "I am a Child of God" was a book that taught us about judging. It taught me that you shouldn't judge other people for what they look like. This book is very educational and I felt the Spirit when I was reading it. I definitely recommend this book. 

Title: A Child of God
Author: Chantel and Mauli Bonner
Illustrator: Morgan Bissant
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: September 2021
ISBN: 1629729175 
Source: I received a copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own. 

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment