Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Book Review: Lady Flyer by Heather B. Moore

https://c.media-amazon.com/images/I/81ULgK4sRVL._SL1500_.jpg

Book Description:

Based on a true story and set against the backdrop of WWII, a young woman’s love of flying becomes an epic fight for identity and equality.

In the quiet town of Houghton, Michigan, sixteen-year-old Nancy Harkness discovers a passion that ignites her heart in ways she never expected. The arrival of barnstormer pilots brings more than just the thrill of their daring stunts; it brings the promise of adventure. Nancy vows she will be a pilot someday.

Years later, as the dark clouds of World War II gather on the horizon, Nancy’s dreams take a new and daring turn. With unwavering determination, she envisions a squadron of female pilots. Yet, her path is far from clear. The male-dominated world of aviation pushes back, determined to keep women out of the skies.

But Nancy isn’t alone in her quest for equality. Jackie Cochran, a formidable aviatrix and Nancy’s rival, has her own dreams and ambitions for women in aviation. As they both navigate the turbulent skies of a nation at war, their destinies intertwine in a story of rivalry, respect, and competition.

Review:

I enjoy reading history, especially WWII. I just find it fascinating. I jumped at the chance to read Lady Flyer, because the description captured my interest, plus I have really enjoyed the author's other books. This is not a fast-paced novel, filled with action and adventure. It is the story of one woman (and really, many other players) who fought for equal treatment of women pilots in the WWII era. It shouldn't, because I've read so many other books about how women were treated and viewed in the "olden days," but it still boggles my mind that they were treated as poorly as they were. Any time I read books like this, I realize how blessed I am to be living in a time when I am considered an equal. I am equally in awe at women like Mrs. Love who put everything on the line to fight for that equality, and kept on fighting, even when things didn't go the right way.

Title: Lady Flyer
Author: Heather B. Moore
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: September 2024
ISBN: 163993295X
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.
 
Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book 

No comments:

Post a Comment