Pages

Monday, February 6, 2023

Book Review: Miss Newbury's List by Megan Walker


Book Description:

Before Rosalind weds, she wants to experience ten things. Meeting Charlie wasn’t on her list.

England, 1820

Rosalind Newbury is counting down the days until her wedding to the Duke of Marlow, a man she has only met twice, and she knows exactly how she wants to spend her time. As a child, Ros created a list of ten things to do before her wedding day. So far, she has done none of them.

She is determined to tackle each item, though she’ll have to accomplish them all in secret. After all, a soon-to-be-duchess is not usually allowed to bury treasure in the pasture, eat sweets all day, or learn how to swim. She enlists the help of her best friend, Liza, who brings along her cousin, Charlie, a prodigal son-turned-boxer who has come to the countryside to mend his reputation and learn how to be his father’s heir.

Together, the three of them work to complete the list, and as each item is crossed off, an unlikely friendship blossoms between Ros and Charlie. The more time they spend together, the more Ros falls in love with this imperfect man and his good heart.

With the wedding looming, Ros must decide to either admit her romantic feelings for Charlie and risk her family’s future, or keep her promise to marry the duke and start a new life as a noblewoman.

Rorie's Review:

Have I ever mentioned how grateful I am to have been born in this day and age (and location) where I don't have to marry for status and arranged marriages aren't a thing? Well, if I haven't, then reading this book further cemented my appreciation for the freedoms I have. I can't even imagine marrying someone I not only didn't love, but didn't even know, simply because it would give my family a title. 

Now that that's off my chest, I can get into the meat of the review. Quite simply, I loved this story. The author did a great job at bringing the characters to life, and I could easily see myself getting involved in their crazy schemes. Rosalind, Liza, and Charlie made quite the trio - especially poor Liza as she kept trying in vain to bring the other two to their senses. (I'm glad she wasn't successful, that would have made for a very boring story.)

I love stories with happy endings, but I mostly love the battle to get to the happy ending. This one captured that battle perfectly. Definitely a story I recommend.

Andrea's Review:

There was a lot to like about this story. The premise wasn’t particularly unique (there are plenty of stories where people want to complete their bucket list before a major event like marriage), but it made for an entertaining read. I wasn’t as drawn to Rosalind as I wanted-perhaps because she came across as somewhat immature, but that immaturity did lead to some funny moments as she tried to complete her list. I really liked Charlie.

Title: Miss Newbury's List
Author: Megan Walker
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: February 2023
ISBN: 1639930523
Source: We received review copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment