Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2022

Book Review: The Questmaster's Trap by Frank L. Cole


Book Description: 

Hello, Brave Reader: You’re just in time to roll the Die of Destiny and play a game of Champion’s quest. The wizard Questmaster Hob has summoned the Wild Crows on a new adventure. But not everything is what it seems.

A new, sinister Questmaster creates chaos for Lucas, Miles, and Jasmine. They are ill-prepared to fight stronger, challenging monsters, including an evil centaur who has taken a magical ally hostage. As the Wild Crows journey to rescue her, they encounter shadow elves, troltusses, and giants. They also learn new skills and strategies, and discover their quest is more than just a game this time. The fate of the world of Champion’s Quest―including the lives of the wizards Hob and Bogie―hangs in the balance.

Can the Wild Crows prevail? Will the luck of the dice be in their favor? Can they gather the right magical items and overcome their weaknesses? It will take true champions and a bit of luck to win this gripping, fantastical, high-stakes adventure.

Rorie's Review:

When I agreed to read this book, I thought we already owned the first one in this series. It wasn't until I started reading it that I realized this isn't a series we've read yet. I was able to read and enjoy this story, but I really feel like you should read the books in order. They do make multiple references to things that happened in the first quest, and that left me feeling a bit lost. 
It seems like the Champion's Quest is similar to Dungeons and Dragons, only the characters are actually in the game (again, I'm sure all this was explained in the 1st book.) This was a quick read, and despite my confusion, I enjoyed the story. I need to get the first book and read that now so I can get all the backstory. 

Collin's Review:

When I had the chance to review this book by Frank L. Cole, I was excited, as I have enjoyed his other books that I have read.  I was not aware of this series though, and haven't yet read the first book in the series.  However, I do enjoy role playing games, and so even though I have not yet read the first in the series, I still enjoyed this book.  Frank L. Cole did a great job of providing enough backstory that I didn't feel that I was missing a whole lot, even though I felt that "Oh, they must have met that character, or been in this situation in the previous book"  I was impressed by the way that the characters in this story worked together to solve the seemingly insurmountable problems they encountered.  Trust and friendship were a big part of the story.  I highly recommend this story. . .And now, I need to go find the first book in the series to go read it as well!  I also look forward to the next book, and the next adventure by the Wild Crows and see how the gamemaster work together in their next adventure!

Title: The Questmaster's Trap
Author: Frank L. Cole
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: October 2022 
ISBN: 1639930493
Source: We received copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment