Pages

Monday, May 18, 2020

Book Review: Where the Stars Meet the Sea by Heidi Kimball

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71n5PfIOeHL.jpg



Book Description:

Juliet Graham fervently counts the days until her twenty first birthday, when she can claim the inheritance that will grant her the freedom she has always craved and the guardianship of her younger brother. Until then, she is trapped under her aunt Agnes's domineering will. When forced to accompany the family to a house party at Shaldorn Castle, Juliet's only objective is to keep to herself. That is, until a chance encounter with a boorish stranger stirs up an unexpected whirlwind of emotions in her. Thrown off-balance, Juliet does the unthinkable: loses her temper and insults the man who turns out to be her unwilling host, the Duke of Halstead. Fully expecting to be sent away, Juliet is surprised when the brusque and callous duke instead takes an interest in her.
Drawn to the duke in unguarded moments, Juliet finds herself more and more intrigued by the man who shuns Society's rules as completely as she does, and over the next few weeks, their unlikely friendship deepens into a connection neither expected.
But even as Juliet comes to recognize her true feelings, her scheming aunt issues an ultimatum that threatens the future she was just beginning to hope for. Juliet must choose: either break the promise she made to herself years ago, or lose the man who has captured her heart and soul.

Rorie's Review:

I'm kind of glad that we have no typical May commitments right now, because otherwise, I would have had to keep putting this book down, and I really didn't want to do that. This story had everything that makes a book a winner for me. There were many times when I got choked up, which is slightly embarrassing when your teenage son is in the same room as you are.
I loved Juliet's character. She was the underdog, but stayed as strong as she knew how, in spite of everything she was put through. Her first interaction with Halstead had me laughing out loud.

I highly recommend this story and look forward to reading it again.
 
Andrea's Review:
 
This was an excellent story. I loved the spunk of the main character. She kept putting herself in awkward positions and it made for a very entertaining story. She had a very good heart and had been dealt a huge blow by the loss of her parents. Having to live with a cruel aunt endeared her to me even more. I loved the transformation she helped with  for the cranky duke. 
 
It was a lovely story with a happy ending that I can see myself reading again.
 
Tarah's Review:
 
 This story had a great storyline, and I told my teenage daughter that, "I was reading a good book right now, and I want to get back to it." when I had to go do real life stuff.


Juliet was a fun character, but here's the thing. While I did enjoy the story, I was surprised when I finished and looked at the author. I would have bet this was a first novel for someone. And I would have guessed that because even though I enjoyed it, the characters weren't super developed, and I had a lot of why questions that I don't think I can bring up without spoilers. But I never really felt the connection grow between Juilet and the Duke. Since I liked them both it didn't bother me, but they are insulting one another and then like each other. I needed more why's,  especially with the aunt. Her actions really didn't make sense to me. 
 
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71n5PfIOeHL.jpg 
Title: Where the Stars Meet the Sea
Author: Heidi Kimball
Publisher: Covenant Communications, Inc.
Published: March 2020
ISBN: 1524410411
Source: Review copy from Netgalley. All opinions expressed are our own.
Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment