Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Book Review: The Killing Tide by Dani Pettrey

The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)

Book Description:
A Corpse That Only Leads to Secrets.
An Old Flame with Danger Written all over Her.
Things Are about to Get Very Complicated.

When one Coast Guard officer is found dead and another goes missing, Coast Guard Investigative Service special agent Finn Walker faces his most dangerous crime yet. His only clues are what little evidence remains aboard the dead officer's boat, and the direction the clues point to will test Finn and the Guard to their limits.

The already volatile situation is complicated even further by the arrival of Gabby Rowley--Finn's boss's sister and an investigative reporter with unrelenting questions about the crime. Now that she's returned, the tug on Finn's heart is strong, but with the risks she's taking for her next big story, he fears she might not live through it.

Thrown together by the heinous crime, Finn and Gabby can't ignore the sparks or judgments flying between them. But will they be able to see past their preconceptions long enough to track down an elusive killer, or will they become his next mark?


Book Review:
 I was super excited to hear that Pettrey had a new series coming out and I jumped at the change to read this beginning book to the series. However, as I as reading I kept asking myself, "Is this the first book? Am I missing something? Was there a book before this one that I missed?" There were sooo many characters, and a lot of the story felt like I should already know something about some person or relationship. It was kinda hard to keep track of it all.

Gabby was a hard sell for me. As as a main character, that's rough for a story. I liked her okay, but I didn't connect with her at all. There was too much, "protect me, but dont' protect me because I have a job to do." I still read the story quickly, because the suspense really does drag you in and you have to keep reading until everything is concluded (Which Pettrey does an amazing job at).

I liked the minor characters probably more than the main characters, so that breeds hope for the next book in the series. I'm hoping Noah gets a book soon, even though I'm sure Rissi's book is next. I'm just wondering if to enjoy the next book I'm going to have to go back and reread this one to try to get everyone straight again.

The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1) 
 
Title: The Killing Tide
Author: Dani Pettrey
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: August 2019
ISBN: 0764230840
Source: Review copy from NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment