Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Book Review: Resist by Ilima Todd

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81jnoW15wtL.jpg
Resist by Ilima Todd

Book Description:

Having been rescued, Remade, and returned to Freedom, Theron must now face a life without Nine. Though he's chosen to be a healer, he uses all the vices Freedom affords to try and dull the pain of losing Nine. But he can't find the peace he so desperately needs. Until he meets Catcher, a man who shows him the dark truths behind Freedom's Batcher program. From him, Theron learns what it means to be a leader and a father. When he falls in love with a captured rebel named Pua, Theron must choose: Freedom and its easy pleasures, or a life that is truly free but full of hardships and decisions.

Andrea's Review: 

I was wondering if I'd need to re-read Remake before reading Resist. I didn't have time, and I wasn't really lost, but I do think it would have been good to read it again. I think you could read Resist on its own but it wouldn't mean nearly as much.

I liked that this is told from Theron's POV. He is a great character. He's very smart and compassionate. The feelings were a little tricky at times to distinguish, since most books only focus on romantic love and not familial love.

This is deep in some ways. Family is so important and it's hard to imagine a society where everyone can be remade however they want. In some ways that's seeming to be more prevalent in our society, but to have had their hormones suppressed so they couldn't even have the feelings that are God given is just messed up.

I loved Theron's enlightenment about family and how he was able to quickly realize what was missing.

I was sad that this is just a second book and not the conclusion. It was well written and intriguing, but I'm sad it's over and not resolved. It was a bit tough to read about the power hungry, evil people who were masking true freedom and happiness.

Rorie's Review:

I read Remake quite a while ago, and really liked it, so I was very excited to have the chance to read Resist. I do wish I would have re-read the last few chapters of Remake first though, because I couldn't remember what happened between Nine and Theron, which left me pretty confused until it finally came back to me.

This was one of those "drop everything and just read" books. I know I've mentioned this a bunch of times before, but I really enjoy dystopian stories. I can't remember if we were told in the first book where the story takes place, but I appreciate that the location was put into this book. It drives me crazy when I can't figure out where the story takes place.

Definitely a good, engaging story, and one that I wasn't ready for it to end. I am anxiously awaiting the release of the third book in this series.


https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81jnoW15wtL.jpgTitle: Resist
Author: Ilima Todd
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: July 2016
ISBN:
1629721042
Source: We received copies from the publisher in exchange for honest reviews. 

Purchase: Amazon | Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment