Pages

Monday, September 28, 2015

Movie review: The Cokeville Miracle

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91ocKLYhjFL._SL1500_.jpg

Movie Description:

On May 16, 1986, in the small, ranching community of Cokeville, Wyoming, David and Doris Young took an elementary school hostage for several hours before detonating a bomb inside a classroom that held every teacher and student in the school. In the wake of the madness, Ron Hartley, whose children were inside the classroom, must fight his skepticism and unbelief as he hears eyewitness accounts from the students about miraculous, heavenly intervention during the crisis. When tragedy strikes ... what do you see? 

Rorie's Review:

I don't remember hearing about this incident when I was growing up, even though it was only one state away. I'm sure it was because I was only 10 and in my own little world of friends and My Little Ponies and whatever else I was into back then.

Not seeing a rating on the back of the DVD case, I debated whether it would be appropriate for my older kids to watch it with me, but then decided against it because of the subject matter. I'm glad that I chose to do that, as I think watching about kids being kept hostage in school might have been a bit too scary for them. (The movie is PG-13.)

One thing that just amazed me during the movie was how willingly everyone just went into the classroom where the bad guys were, without even knowing the person telling them to go into that room. So very different from the world we live in today.

I think the movie was well done and did a good job of telling the story in an engaging way, as well as focusing on the miracles that happened that day. I would recommend this movie to others.

Tarah's Review:

Just like Rorie I wondered if this was a movie I could watch with my kids. Not seeing a rating, I told them I'd watch it first and then let them know. While I don't think it was something my children would have understood, and would possibly be scared to watch, I'm glad I was able to see it. The acting was just okay, but I found the message to be beautiful.

The thing I found most interesting about this movie is that, for me, the movie wasn't about the terrorist or the bomb. The movie still has half of it left when that part happens, and I wasn't expecting that. For me, the movie was about prayer, and finding your way to God.  I loved that message, and I couldn't help but think of the lesson we had in Sharing Time about miracles and how they still happen today, but not everyone can willingly acknowledge them...even in, or especially in a tragedy such as this.

I'd recommend this movie to others who are looking for upliftment (my spell checker says that isn't a word, but you know what I mean). 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91ocKLYhjFL._SL1500_.jpg
Title: The Cokeville Miracle
Director: T.C. Christensen
Studio: +180 Records
Published: September 2015
ASIN: B011LW42W2
Source: We received copies from the publisher in exchange for a review.

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book


No comments:

Post a Comment