Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Book Review: The Dancing Master by Julie Klassen

The Dancing Master



Book Description:

Leaving London, dancing master Alec Valcourt moves his mother and sister to remote Devonshire--but is stunned to discover that dancing is prohibited! He finds an unlikely ally in Miss Julia Midwinter, but her questions about his past are becoming harder to evade. Together, can they bring new life to this quiet village--and heal long-kept-secret scars?

Review:

To start with, the cover is great and the book synopsis sounds really good. That's about all I can recommend from this book. First of all, it's way too long (and I love to read, I just read an almost 600 pg book today with no problem). It took forever to get through and I still haven't figured out why. All I know is that reading on my kindle I would think, "It's got to be wrapping up now" and I'd look and see I was only 50% of the way through the book. This seems to be common for this author. However, in her other books I at least liked the main characters. I can't say that for this one. Alex and Julia didn't have much to recommend them. They fit with the time period, but were too stuck up for my taste. Julia was selfish and unfeeling to everyone but her self, and she didn't really change much by the end. Alex had some good qualities, but was a a little too high and mighty for my taste. Although, everything I didn't like, I can see why it was written that way, so to some it might appeal. Content wise it was clean. No language, minimal violence, and maybe two kissing scenes. That is one thing to recommend for Alex. He always acted like a gentleman.

The Dancing Master 
Title: The Dancing Master
Author: Julie Klassen
Publisher: Bethany House Publishing
Published: January 2014
ISBN:
9780764210709 
Source: I received an eCopy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment