Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Crunch Time

Crunch Time (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #16)Crunch Time by Diane Mott Davidson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was introduced to culinary mysteries when I discovered Josi S. Kilpack's Sadie Hoffmiller books. They are excellent, so when I came across this culinary mystery in my library I was really excited to see another author's take on it.

Crunch Time follows caterer Goldy Schulz as she caters various events in her small Colorado town, while at the same time trying to solve crimes. Goldy is nosy and quite the entertaining character. Her life is put in jeopardy several times, and some of her crime solving methods are a bit less than legal.

I liked the relationship between Goldy and her husband Tom, a sheriff's department investigator. I actually assumed that Goldy was middle aged for some reason, so their interactions were even more endearing when I thought they were older. She's actually in her later thirties.

I would have given this book a higher rating if it weren't for all the swearing. No f-bombs were dropped, but I think every other swear word was used. Props to authors who can get emotions across without profanity.

I was a little lost at times since I haven't read any of the previous 15 books in the series. And, there were question marks all over the place that just didn't seem to fit. It had me re-reading sentences trying to figure out how it could be a question.

I'm not sure that I loved the wrap up of who done it at the end. It was good, but I guess with the almost 450 pages of sleuthing I expected more of the answers to be discovered along the way instead of in a summary at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment