Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

A Month of Summer

A Month of Summer (Blue Sky Hill #1)A Month of Summer by Lisa Wingate

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

"For Rebecca Macklin, an ordinary summer brings about an extraordinary change of heart when she discovers that her aging father has been wandering the Dallas streets alone, and his wife, Hanna Beth, has landed in a nursing home. Now Rebecca must put aside old resentments and return to her childhood home. In this moving story of separation and forgiveness, two women will unravel the betrayals of the past and discover the true meaning of family."-B&N.com overview

My favorite books are those that pull me in early, and are so captivating that I don't want to put them down. Unfortunately, A Month of Summer wasn't that type of book for me. In fact, I read or listened to several other books while I worked my way through this one.

The story was pretty good, but it was really slow (at least for the first half of the book or so). The alternating view points were both good and bad. I liked to know what Hanna Beth and Rebecca were thinking, but switching back and forth seemed to drag the progress on.

I did find Hannah Beth's POV as a stroke victim really interesting. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to communicate (or even move) the way you've been used to for your entire life. The attitude of some of the nursing home employees was very disheartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment