Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Hunger Games & Audio Books

The other day I was doing a canning project that was taking forever. The audiobook of Catching Fire was on my iPod, so I turned it on to keep me company. Catching Fire is the second book in The Hunger Games series.

If you haven't read this series, you might want to consider it. It's set in the future where a corrupt government annually punishes its citizens by selecting a boy and girl from each of its 12 districts to fight to the death. This is a reminder that citizens shouldn't rebel against the Capital.

It's brutal, but the writing really draws you in. The characters are very well done. It's not a happy book (which I tend to prefer), but it's sort of addicting. The end of the series isn't totally satisfying (because it's not dripping with happiness), but it works. And, it makes you think. About Peeta. A lot! Poor, poor Peeta.

The reader for The Hunger Games audiobooks is Carolyn McCormick. I don't know anything about her, but she does a great job with this series.

The reader really makes or breaks an audiobook for me. Jim Dale=awesome. Can you even imagine anyone else as the reader for the Harry Potter series?

My husband and I checked out an audiobook (I think it was The Smoke Jumper) for a road trip. Having Luke Perry as the reader didn't work for me. His voice was just too familiar, in a very distracting way (and I'm not sure that I really liked the book either).

I loved the book Matched, but I heard a little snippet of the audiobook, and I'm not sure that I like the reader. She might grow on you if you heard more than a minute or so though.

What audiobooks really work (or don't work) for you?

3 comments:

  1. The first time I checked out Twilight as an audio book, I couldn't finish it. I think I was expecting the narrator to be Jim Dale, since the Harry Potter books were the only other ones I'd heard.
    Those are the only two I've listened to, but it took me awhile to get used to the lady narrator. Jim Dale is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw man, I couldn't finish The Hunger Games. I wanted to because everyone was talking about it. but I couldn't get past the first few chapters. it was too hard.

    my sister really liked listening to Harry Potter on CD. you could also listen to church talks by cool people that are entertaining, like Hank Smith. I think the Shopaholic books are also good on CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya...the twilight narrator is awful...so is the percy jackson narrator (almost ruins the series, which is sad cause it is such a great series). I find lady narrators are a lot harder to like than male narrators. Although, I think the lady that reads the Mrs. Polifax novels are well read.

    ReplyDelete