Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

What's It Worth?

I really like to finish what I start. There is something inside me that drives me to finish, even if the task takes a really long time, or is unenjoyable. Unfortunately, this attitude follows me in books I read for fun.

More and more I find that there are some pretty poorly written or trashy novels out there, and I'm gaining nothing from finishing them. I won't be penalized for not finishing, but I'll definitely lose time, and might even have filth in my mind that won't ever leave.

I found this to be the case with The Red Tent. Someone recommended it to me a few years ago, but my library's copy has been missing. A friend recently mentioned that it was on her reading list, and that got me interested in tracking it down again. I ended up borrowing it from another library.

I was so disappointed with it! So much so that I only made it to page 36, and I am anxious to get it out of my house.

My uncle (an avid reader) once said, "If a book is worth reading, it's worth owning." Initially I wasn't sure if I agreed with him, but then I realized that too often I read books that just aren't worth reading.

How do you determine if a book is worth reading?

1 comment:

  1. A book isn't worth my time if it's got trash in it or if it's completely flat and lifeless - meaning I can only dig so deep and find so much to think about in the story. If it's just plot, I'm bored out of my mind. I need more to sink my teeth into. :)

    ReplyDelete