Pages

Friday, July 5, 2024

Book Review: Fun Fact: I Love You by Gina Larsen

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71YmulZxodL._SL1500_.jpg

Book Description:

In this friends-to-lovers romance, high school senior Nellie has her future all planned out—except for a disastrous first kiss, a hurtful prank, and the unexpected twist of falling in love with her childhood friend.

Fun fact: Nellie Samsin has ten days left of high school, and she’s never been kissed—which is fine with her. She’s been more focused on editing the yearbook and being named valedictorian than worrying about a boyfriend. But when she has a chance to kiss her longtime crush, she hopes it will be a magical experience. Until she learns it was all a lie, a hurtful prank orchestrated by her so-called best friend, leaving Nellie heartbroken and angry with everyone involved.

Jensen Nichols has spent his senior year keeping three massive secrets: first, he’s been writing a best-selling romance fantasy series under the pseudonym “Jen Dimes”; second, he’s been harboring a secret crush on Nellie, to the point where he’s based his fictional romantic heroine on her; and third, Nellie’s dad has been his writing mentor and coach. Jensen has promised himself that he’ll reveal his secrets—but only when the time is right. Then he sees Nellie kissing his best friend, and his unexpected rush of jealousy means that the time for keeping secrets is running out.

When a family tragedy rocks Nellie’s world, the future she meticulously planned for is threatened. And when she learns the people she thought were her friends have lied to her, she feels lost and betrayed. At least she has Jensen, who is the one person she knows for a fact she can trust. But the more time the two of them spend together, the more Nellie suspects Jensen is hiding something from her. (Fun fact: Keeping secrets is the worst.)

It seems Nellie and Jensen are perfect for each other, but they will need to separate fact from fiction in order to see if their unplanned romance can last beyond graduation day.
Review:
What did I do yesterday, you ask? I read this book. Pretty much the entire thing, except for the few chapters that I read the night before. I only took breaks when I had to go take or pick up children from one activity or the other. Some books, I really enjoy, but I'm just fine taking several days or even a week to read. This one, I found that I just didn't want to put it down, and since I didn't have any pressing things going on (other than housework, but no worries, that's certainly not going anywhere!) I had no issue with parking myself on my couch all day until I had finished the book.
It has been many, many years since I was in high school, and I think I'm at the age now where sometimes, reading about characters in high school is kind of annoying. I think I'm well on my way to becoming that curmudgeonly old person that yells at kids to stay off their lawn. If I ever get a lawn, that is. At any rate, I was a bit hesitant to start this book, simply because of the high school thing. I needn't have worried. The characters were well-thought out, and perfect for this story. There was a lot of teenage angst in this, but instead of becoming annoying, it was perfect for the story. 
This is an easy, quick read, but it still deals with some pretty serious, heartbreaking issues.
Title: Fun Fact: I Love You
Author: Gina Larsen
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: July 2024
ISBN: 1639932453
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.
Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment