Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2024

Book Review: An Inconvenient Letter by Julie Wright

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61Nwlx0dV6L._SL1500_.jpg

Book Description:

Complications arise when Marietta's secret love letters are accidentally found by the wrong man.

1828, the London countryside

For years, Marietta Stone has harbored a secret infatuation for the handsome Frederick Finch and has poured out her deepest feelings in a series of passionate love letters that she keeps in a locked drawer. But when Marietta's private letters are accidentally delivered to Frederick's house, she must retrieve them immediately before they fall into the wrong hands. If the letters were read by anyone else, the resulting scandal could jeopardize her reputation.

Gerard Hartwell has no time for infatuations, courtship, or even love. He must find a wife with a substantial inheritance if he wishes to save his late father's bankrupt estate. When he accidentally discovers Marietta's love letters at his cousin Frederick's estate, he strikes a bargain with her. If she helps him court her older sister, Anne, he will return the letters and help Marietta win Frederick's heart.

Marietta agrees, and the two quickly pretend to be courting in order to spend time with their individual love interests. Yet, what appeared to be a straightforward bargain becomes complicated when Gerard realizes that the more time he spends with Marietta, the more he wishes he could court her for real. But can he persuade Marietta to give him a chance when her heart might belong to another man?

Rorie's Review:

I think I have read all of this author's books, and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. I always get excited when one of my favorite authors comes out with a new book, so I was excited to get the chance to read this one.

Marietta was quite the interesting character. I can slightly relate to the issue with her letter - when I was in high school, I dropped off birthday cards to two different guys that I liked, only I mixed them up and gave the wrong card to the wrong guy! More than a little embarrassing, to say the least, so I completely understood her mortification when her secret love letters fell into the "wrong" hands. Thankfully, the person who found her letters was a much better character than some of the other people Marietta had dealings with during the course of this story.

This was an entertaining tale, and I highly recommend it.

Andrea’s Review:

An Inconvenient Letter is a fun story with great characters. The author did a wonderful job crafting an entertaining story that kept me intrigued. 

There was quite a bit of buildup to the explanation of what had happened during the prior season-more so than seemed warranted for what actually occurred, but that is probably the point. The Town was so critical and unforgiving for the littlest of things. 

I felt really bad for how Marietta was treated by her mother. For being her father’s favorite, I was quite surprised that he didn’t step in when her mother was blaming Etta for so much and being so emotionally cruel. I really appreciated the growth in the relationships by the end.

The growth between the main characters was very well done. Their feelings seemed realistic and not rushed. Ha, maybe it was even a bit slower than I wanted at times for them to both realize their feelings.

This was a quick read and one I’d recommend.

Title: An Inconvenient Letter
Author: Julie Wright
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: March 2024
ISBN: 1639932305
Source: We received review copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.
Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book 

No comments:

Post a Comment