Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Book Review: Glass Carriages and Brass Hearts by Nancy Campbell Allen

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/619iT8oL-UL.jpg

Book Description:

A steampunk retelling of Cinderella

Emmeline O'Shea is determined to save the world—single-handedly, if necessary. A strong voice for societal reform, she is the natural choice to deliver a key speech at the end of the International Shifter Rights Organization's week-long Summit in Scotland.

But when a death threat arrives at Emme's home, she is immediately placed into protective custody, watched over by none other than her personal nemesis, Detective-Inspector Oliver Reed. The two have crossed paths many times, with disastrous results, but now they will have to work together in order to reach the Summit before midnight of the last day in order to ensure legislation is passed to protect the Shifter community.

As unseen enemies close in around Emme and Oliver, they struggle to reach Edinburgh by any means necessary, only to find Emme's vindictive stepsister, Oliver's vampire brother, and a dangerous political minefield awaiting them in Scotland.

Even more difficult is their own refusal to admit that the fiery animosity that once burned between them might be turning into the heat of romantic passion. Could a straitlaced policeman determined to uphold the law and an outspoken activist willing to break the rules ever find true love? Or will all their dreams shatter like glass when the clock strikes midnight?

Rorie's Review:

I love the steampunk series by Nancy Campbell Allen. I keep trying to make the characters fit into a Regency-era romance, and that just doesn’t work with this style of novel! Emme and Oliver have quite the tempestuous relationship, he having arrested her numerous times over the years. They get thrown together when he is appointed as her protective detail, and then the fun begins! 
 
I got a kick out of watching the two of them grow in their relationship, as well as navigate all the many obstacles that are thrown in Emme’s path. There are a few similarities to the Cinderella fairy tale, but they're mostly very subtle. 
 
Overall, I really enjoyed reading this book, and look forward to reading it again. I hope that Madeline will get a story of her own in the near future.

Tarah's Review:

I have been curious about Emme and Oliver for quite awhile now, and Oliver's brother. I'm so glad I got to read their story! This can be read as a stand-alone, but I'd highly recommend reading the others because you just get a bigger picture of the world Allen has created. Brass Carriages only adds to this steam-punk world. 

While I had a harder time relating to Emme, I loved Olivers character. Finding out what made him tick was a treat. Emma grew on me, but with all that's been happening in the world lately, her brand of riots and protests just didn't strike the right cord in my world. However, her passion for change and justice for everyone did resonate and I loved that about her.

It's another winner for Allen. I can't wait for the next one in the series.

 Andrea's Review:

I’ve enjoyed this series by Nancy Campbell Allen, even though I wouldn’t typically seek out steampunk. I like fairytale retellings, although this series doesn’t mirror the originals very closely. If I hadn’t read that this was supposed to be a retelling of Cinderella I may have missed it.

The main characters’ relationship is quite entertaining. The idea that most of their initial interactions was him arresting her was quite funny.

I read this a few months ago, and it wasn’t a book that really stuck with me. Granted, I’ve been so busy the last few months that it’s hard to keep book details in mind, so I’m not sure if it’s more of a situation or the story itself.


Title: Glass Carriages and Brass Hearts
Author: Nancy Campbell Allen
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Published: October 2020 ISBN: 1629727377 Source: We received copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment