Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Book Review: A Gilded Lady by Elizabeth Camden

A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2)
Book Description:

Secretary to the first lady of the United States, Caroline Delacroix is at the pinnacle of high society--but is hiding a terrible secret. Immediately suspicious of Caroline, but also attracted to her, secret service agent Nathaniel Trask must battle his growing love for her as the threat to the president rises and they face adventure, heartbreak, and danger.

Book Review:

We are first introduced to Caroline in The Spice King where we see her as her older brother sees her. We see a young lady in the height of society that likes to party and have a good time. However, in her book, A Gilded Lady, we see Caroline as a hard working secretary to the first lady. We see her as someone respected by her co-workers, and as someone who can diffuse tense situations. But we also see her as someone determined and loyal to those she cares about. These are the qualities that really made this book for me.

This book was set during the early 1900's during President McKinley's time. I haven't read very many books during this era, so it was fascinating to me to see how things evolved. I learned loads about the president and his wife (something I'll admit I had no knowledge of), and of the Secret Service and how they came to be and function. That was interesting. All that being said though, I did feel that this story dragged a little more with all the history than Camden's previous book. Caroline's and Nathan's story had me hooked, but then it just seemed to take a little longer to get places because of all the background and history that happened. And maybe because of all the history I felt that Caroline's and Nathan's connection was a little thin. It just seemed to happen, but didn't seem to have the deep substance that I typically enjoy.

I'm anxiously awaiting Luke's book to come out, and can't wait to continue with the third installment of this series. These siblings are fun to read about and I'd recommend this author to anyone who loves historical fiction.


A Gilded Lady (Hope and Glory, #2) 
 
Title: A Gilded Lady
Author: Elizabeth Camden
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: June 2020
ISBN: 0764232126
Source: I received a copy from NetGalley. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment