Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Book Review: What the Other Three Don't Know by Spencer Hyde


Book Description:

Will I still be loved if I show people who I really am? Four high school seniors. Four secrets about to be told.
If Indie had it her way, she would never choose to river raft with three other high school seniors, mostly strangers to each other, from her journalism class. A loner, a jock, an outsider, an Instagram influencer. At first they can t see anything that they have in common. As the trip unfolds, the unpredictable river forces them to rely on each other. Social masks start to fall as, one-by-one, each teen reveals a deep secret the other three don t know. One is harboring immense grief and unwilling to forgive after the death of a loved one. One is dealing with a new disability and an uncertain future. One is fearful of the repercussions of coming out. One is hiding behind a carefully curated perfect image on Instagram. Before they get to the end of Hells Canyon, they ll know the truth about each other and, more importantly, learn something new about themselves. What the Other Three Don t Know is a poignant and gripping YA novel about the unlikely friends who accept you for who you really are and the power of self-acceptance.


Rorie's Review:

First off, I never want to go white-water rafting, especially after reading this book. That's just one big nope from me. Second, this book is good. Really good. 

Each person on the trip had their own secrets, their own personal torment that they were trying to figure out how to deal with. Like typical teenagers, they postured and did their best to not let anyone else see their vulnerable side. I really appreciated getting a front-row seat to watching their relationships develop and grow. The saying goes  "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." Well, these 4 teenagers turned out to be some pretty strong individuals. 

Small side note, there are some "Bible swears" sprinkled throughout the story, but other than that, it's a clean read.


Andrea's Review:

This was a very interesting story. The style was such that even when things were intense the pace felt slow. I read it in an afternoon and enjoyed it, but would have loved it to have more depth and character development. It told of the characters’ flaws and events in the past and present, but didn’t really spend much time on feelings.

I wanted more at the end to know what would happen to the characters, but did like the transformation and forgiveness that took place. Also, it was very good to be reminded that we really don’t know most people and understand why they do what they do. We all have secrets or things that most people don’t understand.

Content: violence/injury due to nature, mention of teen suicide, handful of mild swear words, mention of bullying.

Tarah's Review:

You know one of the things that I think makes a really good book? When the author can write about a topic I really don't care for (I'm terrified of water and have no interest in going white-water rafting..I have been before, but I'm pretty sure they were super easy rapids....and I have absolutely no interest in fishing...at all) and make me think, "Boy, if I ever tried that I will have to remember to use this technique". Isn't that weird? Probably, but it makes for a great book.

I absolutely loved this story, and thought continually that if we could all just do this (get to really know the real person) instead of just assuming we know and putting each other and ourselves into tidy little boxes, we could really change the world. Now, this is coming from an introvert who hates talking to people she doesn't know...but I do love listening to them.

A few things caught my eye in this book. After having my kids home from school for a week, and having them wonder when they get to go back I had to laugh reading this part, "I want to talk about something to keep from thinking of how we're not back home or anywhere near school. Because school is safe. Easy. Warm." Isn't it interesting that the lack of it finally makes us appreciate it? My kids have learned that this past week.

Another part I loved was, "Because even those we once hated can show us how to love. Because choices will always exist, and when they present themselves, I hope to always reach for the right hand. Because forgiveness is the real river we run in this life." I can't really go into this without ruining the story, but it's definitely something that I read and re-read multiple times.

This book is a keeper. The author is able to write each different character in a way that we all have someone we can relate to. It's thought-provoking, and touching. Definitely recommend it.


https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91unk662J%2BL.jpg
Title: What the Other Three Don't Know 
Author: Spencer Hyde
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: March 2020
ISBN: 1629727326
Source: Advanced reader copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.
 
Amazon Deseret Book 

No comments:

Post a Comment