Pages

Friday, November 22, 2019

Book Review: Hope's Highest Mountain by Misty M. Beller

 https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Zox%2BJjHCL.jpg


Book Description:

Ingrid Chastain readily agreed to accompany her father to deliver vaccines to a mining town in the Montana Territory. She never could have anticipated a terrible accident would leave her alone and badly injured in the wilderness. When rescue comes in the form of a mysterious mountain man who tends her injuries, she's hesitant to put her trust in this quiet man who seems to have his own wounds.

Micah Bradley left his work as a doctor after unintentionally bringing home the smallpox disease that killed his wife and daughter. But his self-imposed solitude in the wilds of Montana is broken when he finds Ingrid in desperate need of medical attention, and he's forced to face his regret and call on his doctoring skills once again.

Micah can't help but admire Ingrid's tenacious determination despite the severity of her injuries, until he learns the crate she brought contains smallpox vaccines to help quell a nearby outbreak. With Ingrid dead set on trekking through the mountains to deliver the medicine--with or without his help--he has no choice but to accompany her. As they set off through the treacherous, snow-covered Rocky Mountains against all odds, the journey ahead will change their lives more than they could have known.


Rorie's Review:

I was lucky enough to travel through Montana a year ago, and I fell in love with the state. It was so open and beautiful. We were there in the summer though - I can't even begin to imagine how cold it gets in the winter. I also am amazed at the trappers who lived mostly outside in the rough winter conditions. As a person who is pretty much always cold, I can't even fathom how they would ever be warm or comfortable. That thought was in the back of my mind throughout most of this story.

Ingrid is very lucky to be alive, after Micah came across her shortly after the accident that killed her father and maid. I enjoyed watching the relationship develop between the two of them. Ingrid was a very strong woman, especially with all  the loss she had just suffered. Maybe a bit too strong sometimes. She was really good for Micah though, helping him learn how to live again instead of just hiding from the world.

The thing I wasn't so fond of in this story were all of the calamities that kept happening. A few of them were fine, but they just kept coming. It got to the point where I skimmed over the last few of them because it was just too much.

This is book one in a series, but I appreciated how it seems to be a stand-alone book. We're not left wondering what will happen with the characters.

Tarah's Review:

I really just couldn't get into this book. Maybe it's because of what going on in my life right now, but it was one of those books that I could set down and forget all about until I saw it again buried under a stack of something.

I also kinda struggled with Ingrid and Micah's relationship. Also, Ingrid's name. When they traveled with Joanna, I kept switching the two in my mind. There is nothing wrong with the name Ingrid. It may be a little harsh sounding, but it just didn't fit the character very well. Anyway, back to the relationship, it just seemed...convenient. Micah's been alone for awhile, in the wilderness, and suffered a great loss. He stumbles upon a pretty woman, and ya...after not seeing or being around anyone for a long time I can see how he would be attracted to her. But not necessarily to her, but maybe the idea of her. Anyway, kinda the same for Ingrid. Her father kept her close during her come out years, and it didn't seem like she had a lot of courting experience. So when she gets rescued by a manly mountain man who saves her life, ya, she's smitten. But none of it seemed lasting to me.

I will fully admit that it was probably just my mood an my circumstances that made me slog though, so I hesitate to even write anything that could not be a fair representation. But unless I read it again, which I don't see myself doing, I can't change what I'm thinking about this book.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Zox%2BJjHCL.jpg

Title: Hope's Highest Mountain
Author: Misty M. Beller
Publisher: Bethany House Publishers
Published: October 2019
ISBN: 0764233467
Source: Review copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.

Purchase: Amazon Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment