Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Book Review: Once There Was a Mom by Emily Cox

Once There Was a Mom
Once There Was a Mom by Emily Cox
Book Description:

''Mom'' was the biggest word in her world. It made her want to dance, and it made her want to hide. And on some nights, when the house was dark and still and the moon peeked through the window, it made her wonder.

For every mom who has ever wondered if all the little things she does in a day made a difference, Once There Was a Mom offers hope and encouragement. Take it from someone who, like you, has read story after story, sung lullaby after lullaby, and even taken the batteries out of the toys once in a while! The truth is, little things are much more important than we may think. With contemporary, stylized illustrations by artist Destin Cox, this charming gift book will bring a smile to the face of mothers of any age.


Tarah's Review:

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got this book in the mail. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of Mother's Day. It always makes me feel guilty about something that I am or am not doing. I didn't really want to read about how mother's are tender and loving and children are amazing.  So I was pleasantly surprised with this cute book. I loved the dichotomies in it.

''Mom'' was the biggest word in her world. It made her want to dance, and it made her want to hide. And on some nights, when the house was dark and still and the moon peeked through the window, it made her wonder.

That, for me, pretty much sums up my feelings on being a mom. I love it, and sometimes I do want to hide, and sometimes I wonder about what it is that I am doing. I love how the book focused on this instead of saying, "A Mom should be this".


I like books that make me think about them after the fact. This was one of those books, which is powerful for being so short and written like a children's book.  Oh, and the illustrations are delightful!

Andrea's Review:

I think I'm in the minority when I say that I like Mother's Day. I'm all for a day of recognition where my hubby makes me a nice meal, and my kiddos give me homemade presents. I know I'm far from a perfect mother, but from talking to many other moms, I'm lucky that it isn't something that weighs me down on a regular basis.

Once There Was a Mom is a sweet book for any mom (whether you are a Mother's Day fan or not). It's very short (perfect for the mom who hardly has time to read), but loaded with little instances where all mothers can relate.

There is a page that talks about a mom coming home and the children yelling that they missed her. I noticed that with my sister last week. She visited for a couple of days and when she called her family to say she was heading home they were all shouting with joy!

Motherhood is rough at times. And it can feel thankless, but as moms we make a HUGE difference in our kiddos lives. I think this would be a great book for any mom that needs a little reminder about the difference she is making, and how her kids are making her different too.

Rorie's Review:

This is such a cute little book. I love the whimsical illustrations, and most importantly, the message of the book. I love being a mom. I chose to do this, and I don't for one minute regret it. My life is so much more complete now than it was before. But yes, it can be very mundane and crazy and so much fighting and so many messes. Every single day. Sometimes I think I'm the worst mom out there, and sometimes I think I might be doing something right.

So this book comes along and reaffirms that yes, life as a mom is wonderful. It is also crazy hard, but that's part of what makes it worth it, right? So yes, I love this book. I will keep it in a prominent place on my bookshelf and pull it out and read it whenever I need a reminder of why I chose this glamorous job. :)

This book would be a great Mother's Day gift for any of the moms in your life...or even the moms-to-be, to help them know just how worthwhile this calling in life is.


Once There Was a MomTitle: Once There Was a Mom
Author: Emily Watts
Illustrator: Destin Cox
Publisher: Deseret Book
Published: April 2017
ISBN:  162972307X
Source: We received copies from the publisher in exchange for honest reviews.

Purchase: Amazon | Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment