Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2016

Book Review: Playing the Part by Jen Turano

Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own #3)
Book Description:

Lucetta Plum is an actress on the rise in New York City, but is forced to abandon her starring role when a fan's interest turns threatening. Lucinda's widowed friend, Abigail Hart, is delighted at the opportunity to meddle in Lucetta's life and promptly whisks her away to her grandson's estate to hide out.

Bram Haverstein may appear to simply be a somewhat eccentric gentleman of means, but a mysterious career and a secret fascination with a certain actress mean there's much more to him than society knows.

Lucetta, who has no interest in Abigail's matchmaking machinations, has the best intentions of remaining cordial but coolly distant to Bram. But when she can't ignore the strange and mysterious things going on in his house, it'll take more than good intentions to keep her from trying to discover who Bram is behind the part he plays.


Book Review:

This was a classic Jen Turano novel. The thing I liked about this one, though, was that the gentlemen was eccentric as well. It was fun to get to know Bram and all his craziness/sweetness. 

This is the third book in the A Class of Their Own series. Honestly, I'm not sure if it can be a stand-alone novel or not. I've read the others before this, so while off the top of my head I would say you could, really thinking about it, all the characters and their character traits might get really confusing if you don't have any background for them. So...maybe read the other ones first :)

While I loved all the characters (seriously, I get a goofy smile on my face and my family looks at me like I'm crazy) something fell a little flat, but I can't put my finger on what it was. Lucetta was a good strong practical character, and I've already said how much I liked Bram, but for some reason they never really meshed well for me.  Maybe it was because of his original opinion of her, but since I enjoyed that aspect of his really getting to know the real her, I'm not sure.

This wasn't my favorite from this author, but I did enjoy it, and I will reread it. If you've read and enjoyed Jen Turano before, I'd recommend reading this one. If you are looking for a quick funny read with a light mystery, I'd recommend this one. 

Playing the Part (A Class of Their Own #3) 

Title: Playing the Part
Author: Jen Turano
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: March 2016
ISBN:
076421277X 
Source: I received an eCopy from NetGalley in exchange for a review.  

No comments:

Post a Comment