Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Book Review: Cold Shot by Dani Pettrey

Cold Shot (Chesapeake Valor, #1)
Book Description:

In college, Griffin McCray and his four best friends had their lives planned out. Griffin and Luke Gallagher would join the Baltimore PD. Declan Gray would head to the FBI and Parker Mitchell would go on to graduate school as a crime scene analyst. But then Luke vanished before graduation and their world--and friendships--crumbled.

Now Griffin is a park ranger at Gettysburg, having left life as a SWAT-team sniper when a case went bad. The job is mostly quiet--until the day he captures two relic hunters uncovering skeletal remains near Little Round Top. Griffin just wants the case to go away, but charming forensic anthropologist Finley Scott determines that the body is modern--a young social justice lawyer missing since spring--and all evidence points to the work of an expert sniper. When FBI agent Declan Gray takes over the case, past and present collide. Griffin soon realizes he'll need to confront some of the darkest days of his life if he--and those he cares about--are going to escape a downward spiral of murder that crosses continents.


Tarah's Review:

I was really excited when I saw that Dani Pettrey was coming out with a new series. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a good clean contemporary suspense novel. No disappointments here.  The thing I love about this series is the chance to get to know each of these characters.  I can't wait until Declan and Parker get their own books. I will say that I kind of wish each book was mostly about the main characters. Pettrey seems to do that in all her books. Griffin and Finley are great and I would have loved a book about them, with just enough of the minor characters to get me interested in reading the next book about them. And can I say I'm not loving Finley's name?  It's a fine name, don't get me wrong, but I kept thinking it was more of a boy's name than the leading lady's name.

This does cover some pretty heavy topics, so if genocide and rape (none of which is described in detail) leave a darker cloud over you, you may consider skipping this one. However, the message of forgiveness was poignant.

Andrea's Review:

I was pulled into this story right away by the mystery involved with the present-day body found by relic hunters at Gettysburg. The team that ends up working together to solve this case was great. Each member was intriguing, even though the focus is on Griffin and Finley. I didn't love the name Finley for the main female character, but otherwise I really liked her character. It was fascinating how she and the other team members used the small bits of evidence to discover the identity of the victim, and her killer.

In addition to solving the murder, the main characters' lives are threatened due to their involvement in the case. The side stories that involved the relationships among the team members also kept me entertained.


This is Christian fiction and is fairly heavy on prayers. I liked that the main characters' faith helped them overcome their trials, even though reading their detailed prayers felt a little intrusive. It was a clean story (no sex or profanity-there is violence). If the author comes out with more books that focus on the other team members, I'd definitely read them.

Cold Shot (Chesapeake Valor, #1)

Title: Cold Shot
Author: Dani Pettrey
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: February 2016
ISBN:  0764211978
Source: We received eCopies from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment