Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book Review: True To You by Liwen Y. Ho



http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518YVvTJhUL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

Book Description:

Wanted: A man with the four C’s (Chinese, Christian, Cash and Career). Ability to cure hives a definite plus.

Melanie Koo may be a physician skilled in helping others, but the one thing she can’t fix is her own love life. That’s why her mother comes up with the perfect remedy-an arranged marriage. Being the dutiful daughter that she is, she agrees to this loveless match … until a chance meeting leads her straight to the cure for her hopeless heart.

Ben Peters is everything Melanie was not looking for in a guy, but she can’t help but be drawn to his passionate and kind nature and, not to mention, those adorable dimples. For once in her life, she considers breaking parental expectations to go after what she wants. The only thing standing in her way is a five foot one traditional Chinese mother and her scheming ways.

Now Melanie has to make the biggest decision of her life. Will she stay true to her family or will she choose to believe that true love can be colorblind?

Review:

This was a fun, easy read. It did take me a few chapters to really get into it, but I'm glad I didn't set it aside. Melanie and Ben are the kind of people I would like to meet in real life, and Melanie's sisters always made me laugh with their antics. 

The whole marrying someone because it's what your mom wants is hard for me to wrap my mind around. I'm definitely for honoring parents, but not at the expense of marrying someone that I don't love. I did like how the author included some Cantonese phrases (and what they meant.) That was a fun little touch. :)

When I looked this book up on Amazon, I was surprised to find that it was the second book in a series, but after looking at the description of the first book, it doesn't seem that the two are related at all. I definitely didn't feel like I was missing any back story when reading this book.

All in all, this was an enjoyable book to read and I would recommend it.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518YVvTJhUL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 
Title: True to You
Author: Liwen Y. Ho
Publisher: 2 Square 2 Be Hip
Published: April 2015
ISBN: 0692428917
Source: I received a copy from the author in exchange for a review.

Purchase: Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment