Pages

Monday, October 5, 2015

CD Review: Hold on: A Modern Tribute to the Music of Michael McLean

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71hP9mLwFvL._SL1500_.jpg 

CD Description:

Eric Robertson, a popular producer in Provo, has brought together an impressive list of talented vocalists to sing on new, fresh productions of classic Michael McLean songs. The vocalists include some of the top names from the burgeoning Provo music scene, including Elaine Bradley, from Neon Trees, and Ryan Innes, one of the top contestants on NBC's The Voice. Eric grew up listening to Michael McLean songs and still feels a strong connection to them. This album is an effort to pay tribute to those songs and produce them in a way that will speak to a younger generation of LDS youth. 


Track List:
  1. Hold On, the Light Will Come feat. Scott Shepard
  2. Give a Little Bit of Yourself feat. Catherine Leavy
  3. You're Not Alone feat. Andrew Langdon
  4. Gentle feat. Drew Danburry
  5. I Can't Do Everything feat. Brooke White of American Idol
  6. Homeless feat. Ryan Innes of The Voice
  7. You've Always Been There for Me feat. Elaine Bradley of Neon Trees
  8. Share the Joy feat. Severin Bozung
  9. Be the Joy feat. Eric Robertson
  10. Promise of Light feat. Adam and Darcie Sanders
Tarah's Review:

Back in the day when I dreamed about becoming a singer and being discovered one day (before I realized I can't sing...sad day...sad sad day), I would listen to Michael McLean's music and sing it over and over again. Good memories there :)

So, this CD you can't really tell what any of the song are, in relation to what Michael McLean wrote. However, I really enjoyed the techno feel to it. My kids were dancing around the living room, and since it is McLean music I don't have to worry about it being inappropriate (some of the lyrics are hard to understand). It's upbeat and happy. I don't know that I'd classify any of it as Modern, but just don't go into it expecting the old school stuff, and maybe appreciate some techno, and it's a fun CD. 
 
Andrea's Review:

I recently saw an interview with Michael McLean and Eric Robertson about this new album. I can't tell you the number of hours I spent as a teenager listening to Michael's music, so when I saw that he was flattered by this tribute, I was excited to listen to it. The first listen was a bit of a shocker with the techno feel and a few songs that were hard to recognize. Listening to the album more than once helps, but if you really liked the original songs, this modern tribute might not be for you.

Rorie's Review:

I have always love Michael McLean's music, so I was excited to get this CD and listen to it. Sadly, this modern tribute just doesn't compare to the original. I found the synthesizer-type music off-putting and definitely not modern. I think I will stick to the actual piano music done by Michael McLean himself.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71hP9mLwFvL._SL1500_.jpgTitle: Hold on: A Modern Tribute to the Music of Michael McLean
Label: Shadow Mountain
Released: August 2015
ASIN: B00YXRPTC0
Source: We received CDs in exchange for a review.

Purchase: Amazon | Deseret Book

 

No comments:

Post a Comment