Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

Book Review: The Brickmaker's Bride by Judith Miller

The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)
Book Description:

Yearning for a fresh start, Ewan McKay travels with his aunt and uncle from northern Scotland to West Virginia, promising to trade his skills in the clay business for financial assistance from his uncle Hugh. Hugh purchases a brickmaking operation from a Civil War widow and her daughter, but it's Ewan who gets the business up and running again. Ewan seeks help from Laura, the former owner's daughter, and he feels a connection with her, but she's being courted by another man--a lawyer with far more social clout and money than Ewan. Besides, Ewan has resolved he'll focus on making the brickmaking operation enough of a success that he can become a partner in the business
and be able to afford to bring his sisters over from Scotland.

But when Hugh signs a bad business deal, all Ewan's hard work may come to naught. As his plans begin to crumble, Laura reveals something surprising. She and her mother may have a way to save the brickworks, and in turn Ewan may have another shot at winning Laura's heart.


Book Review:

It has been awhile since I've read a book where the romance, and general storyline actually took time to develop....and I loved it. Not only was it realistic, but it fit in with the book perfectly. "...love and bricks both need a slow, steady burn in order to become strong and withstand the test of time." I will admit that sometimes it was slow in the first half of the book and I did get impatient for part of the time, but that didn't deter me from reading it at all.  In fact, it picked up considerably the last half of the book. So much so that I wish that had been as developed at the first half. I would have loved more of Ewan's and Laura's courtship.  I would have liked to hear more about his uncle. And really, let's hear a little bit more about Winston. For being such an antagonist he just sort of dropped out of the picture.
It was an interesting time in history with the story. I actually learned a lot about bricks and brick making, but without the author shoving it down my throat in an, "You have to know this because I did my research", but rather it was an interesting part of the story.
The Christian element was also well done, and not shoved down my throat. All in all this was a good clean read. Especially if you like Historical Fiction.

The Brickmaker's Bride (Refined by Love, #1)
Title: The Brickmaker's Bride
Author: Judith Miller
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: October 2014
ISBN: 0764212559
Source: I received a copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment