Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird PondThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A friend recently mentioned that this was on her list of books to read. I couldn't remember if I'd read it or not. The title was definitely familiar, and another friend thought we read it in Middle School. But, I started it and nothing was coming back to me (which happens when I read books I've already read). But, maybe I just can't remember that far back.

Anyway, it was a very enjoyable story about a 16-year-old that travels from Barbados to the Connecticut Colony to live with her aunt and uncle. Her parents died, and she was living with her grandpa, but when he died she left Barbados to avoid being forced into a marriage with a 50-year-old (ick).

The story takes place in the later 1600s. Most of the people in Wethersfield are Puritans. They have little to no tolerance for different beliefs, and this makes it very hard for Kit to fit in. Plus, she's used to a life of luxury, and now she has to work hard day in and day out.

She befriends an old Quaker woman that lives on the outside of the colony. Many believe that Hannah is a witch, but Kit comes to know that she is just a kind, lonely woman. She goes against her uncle's wishes and continues to visit Hannah whenever she can.

There is a political division in the Colony between those who are loyal to the King of England and those who want to be able to govern themselves.

It was very interesting to read about the political struggles and the bigotry that abounded in Wethersfield.

I also enjoyed the romances in the book. It's so interesting to read about people who chose to marry for reasons other than love.

No comments:

Post a Comment