Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Free is Not All It's Cracked Up to Be

I recently saw a post on Deal Seeking Mom that listed free Kindle books. I don't have a Kindle, but I do have Kindle for Mac that allows me to read eBooks on my iMac or my husband's iPod. I've liked books by a couple of the authors, so I decided to download all of them.

It's not uncommon for free items to be free because they're not worth much. So, I didn't have really high expectations for my free books. However, the first two books I read (Maid to Match and While We're Far Apart) were really enjoyable.

Then I started reading Sold to the Highest Bidder. I wanted to like it, but there was a lot of swearing right off. The story line also seemed very similar to the movie "Sweet Home Alabama". I actually enjoyed that movie, but I had hoped for a new story to catch my attention. Back to the archives it went.

Next I read The Girl in the Lighthouse. A young girl and her parents start a new job at a lighthouse in post Civil War Maine. Lillian's parents have always kept the family secluded, but this new position allows her to be near another family, and she finds a lot of happiness with her family and new friends. I was enjoying the book fairly well, and then things just went downhill. The link above lists the many crazy things about this book, but it is enough to say that it isn't worth reading.

I typically don't know how to take book or movie reviews from strangers since everyone's tastes are so different. But, glancing at the reviews for either of these books probably would have been helpful.

I really hope I have better luck with my other freebies. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

No comments:

Post a Comment