Pages

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Book Review: The Art of Love and Lies by Rebecca Anderson


Book Description:

Manchester, England, 1857

Rosanna Hawkins is one of Manchester’s finest artists, even though no one knows her name. She reproduces “parlor versions” of classic masterpieces with near-perfect precision, which her employer then sells to the emerging upper-middle class families.

When the largest art exhibition ever to be held in England opens in Manchester, Rosanna is excited to visit. She meets the handsome Inspector Martin Harrison, who is head of security, and is immediately intrigued by his charm, confidence, and portrait-worthy good looks. The two spend many a flirtatious afternoon exploring the exhibition hall, discussing art, and sharing their secret hopes. Rosanna dreams of painting something original and meaningful, and Martin hopes to one day shed the shadow of his father’s notorious past.

But when they discover the theft of some of the paintings―and all the evidence points to Rosanna―she must convince Inspector Harrison she is innocent and proposes a plan to capture the real art thief.

It is a daring race to catch the criminal before he disappears with the most priceless piece in the collection―Michaelangelo’s The Manchester Madonna. If Rosanna and Inspector Harrison fail, not only will the painting be lost forever but so will their chance to paint their own happily ever after.

Rorie's Review:

While I know very little about art, and definitely don't have a talent for it at all (even my stick figures tend to look a bit deranged,) I enjoyed this story. I was able to put myself at the Art Treasures Exhibition, and walk around, viewing the different artwork - except, in my mind, it was nature/landscape scenes, since that's what I love looking at. 
 
Aside from the art show part of the story, I enjoyed watching the relationship with Martin and Rosanna grow. I did feel it was a bit on the insta-love side, which did detract from their relationship a bit. Maybe that was necessary for the story to move on as it did though. 
 
The catching of the criminal was written very well, and I think that may have been my favorite part of the story. 

Andrea's Review:

It took me awhile to get into this story. There wasn’t much action initially, and I read a few chapters here and there when I had time. The pace and excitement picked up about half way through though, and I finished the rest in an afternoon.

Rosanna wasn’t your typical female in England in the mid-1800s. She was unusually independent for her station, but I appreciated her boldness. Although I don’t have artistic talent, the author’s descriptions brought Rosanna’s artwork to life in my mind.

Martin had daddy issues and strove to be the most upright person he could be because of those issues. I would have enjoyed a bit more backstory for Martin, but found him to be likable and a good fit for Rosanna.  

Title: The Art of Love and Lies
Author: Rebecca Anderson
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: August 2023
ISBN: 1639931082
Source: We received review copies from the publisher. All opinions expressed are our own.

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment