Pages

Monday, July 31, 2023

Book Review: The Official Fablehaven Cookbook by Brandon and Cherie Mull


Book Description:

Includes an original, never-before-published story about the Fablehaven woodland brownies by #1 New York Times best-selling author Brandon Mull

The Fablehaven house brownies are known for coming into the kitchen at night and baking delightful treats as a surprise for caretakers and their guests. Now, Fablehaven fans can enjoy nearly fifty wondrous recipes inspired by the world of Fablehaven. Each recipe includes a Fablehaven origin story and full-color food photography. Enjoy a selection of magical crafts like Wizard Slime and Vanessa’s Invisible Ink. Bonus: also includes a few of Brandon Mull’s favorite desserts.

Wondrous Recipes Include:

  • Fairy Toast
  • Muriel’s Pretzel Knots
  • Ogre Stew
  • Bubda’s Sloppy Guac
  • Calico Bread
  • Lena’s Loaded Crepes
  • Bracken’s Unicorn Shakes
  • Zombie Cake Eyeballs
  • Dragon Egg Cupcakes
  • Goblin Glop Trifle
  • Tanu’s Bottled-Up Emotions
  • Singing Sisters Bubbling Brew

Rorie's Review:

My kids and I all love the Fablehaven series, so I was excited to be given the chance to try out this cookbook. The two recipes I've tried so far have been hits. My kids all agreed that the Ogre Stew tasted better than the recipe I usually use for White Chicken Chili, and who doesn't like chocolate chips in their banana bread? I'm planning on having my kids each pick a different recipe from the book to help me cook, and then we can vote on our favorite.

As for the cookbook itself, it's very well put together. I always love cookbooks that have pictures of what the food is supposed to look like. It's a lot easier for me to skip over a recipe that doesn't have a picture. The book is high quality, and seems like it will last through multiple uses. The story at the beginning and all of the descriptions for each recipe are a nice touch as well. 

Collin’s Review:

This was one of my favorite books I have reviewed yet. . .And certainly my first cookbook review.  The reason?  Mostly because of how much my children enjoyed it.


This cookbook has a great story to introduce it, as well as lots of wonderful recipes.  Every time I got the book out to try to make a few of the recipes, so that I could review it, my children would take it, and I couldn't get it back for several hours.  They each bookmarked their favorite recipes that they wanted to make and do.  Even my youngest, who can't read yet, loves the pictures that accompany each recipe.  They also enjoyed the story about the missing brownies, and making connections with each of the recipes and the characters from the Fablehaven series that they could remember.  


Once I was able to steal the book back from my children, I also enjoyed everything about this cookbook.  While I haven't yet tried to make all of the recipes, my favorite that I have made so far is the Zombie Cake Eyeballs.  From this recipe: "IF AFTER Making THIS recipe you hear spectral voices, there are only three possibilities: 1. Your sibling is playing a prank on you. 2. You're baking in a graveyard. 3. You're a shadow charmer.  If you are a shadow charmer, try coaxing these Zombie Cake Eyeballs into serving you."


That was fun to make, and even more fun to eat.  I love the variety of the recipes, everything from breakfast, to lunch, to snacks, to drinks--and even crafts(now I know how to make kinetic sand).  Many of the recipes are classics that I have loved for years(though with a Fablehaven twist to each of them), others are things that I have never tried before.  All of them are very delicious. Many of these will make excellent foods for a Halloween themed party.  


The only thing that I found that was missing from these fun recipes is that they don't include anything that talks about how much each recipe yields. . .Some make a single serving (such as Dale's Fairy Milk), while others make enough for an entire party (for example The Zombie Cake Eyeballs recipe that I mentioned above).  With a big family, I often found myself guessing if I needed to double (or triple) the recipe or not.


Even with that minor problem, I highly recommend this cookbook.

Title: The Official Fablehaven Cookbook
Author: Brandon and Cherie Mull
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: August 2023
ISBN: 1639930892
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment