Pages

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Book Review: 20-40-60 Minute Dinners by Kate Otterstrom


Book Description:

Organized by time instead of recipe, anyone looking for an alternative to eating out can find recipes to match the time they have. Dinners include gluten-free alternatives. A must-have for the busy home cook.

Whether you only have twenty minutes or an hour―or something in between―you can deliver a delicious entrĂ©e and side dish to the table with these quick, easy, and crowd-pleasing recipes. Organized by “available time” rather than by “kind of dish,” this unique cookbook is designed to help the time-conscious cook with dinner planning.

Enjoy “Mac and Cheese with Candied Sausage and Green Peas” from the “20-Minutes or Less” section. You can create a hearty “Vegetable Stew with Blue Corn Chips and Poached Egg” in forty minutes. If you have sixty minutes in the morning to prep, you can make “Sweet and Spicy Turkey Taco Salad” in a slow cooker. And if you’ve got more time, plan ahead by making easy-to-freeze dinners on the weekend for a quick bake-and-serve weeknight meal.

As a busy mother of four, Kate Otterstrom also makes dinnertime fun with recipes you might not expect could work for dinner―including “Toothpick Appetizers for Dinner” and breakfast favorites like “Slow-Cooker Cheese, Sausage, and Mushroom Strata.”

With the ingredients paired side-by-side with the instructions, it is easy to learn a new recipe or pick up where you left off after an interruption. Since Kate is gluten-intolerant herself, each recipe also includes instructions on how to adapt it for a gluten-free option, along with a dedicated space for you to jot down notes for additional variations.

In today’s busy world, time is precious, and this cookbook can help you get dinner on the table with however much time you have.

Review:

I was intrigued by the concept of this cookbook - giving you different prep/cooking times, based on how much time you have (or, if you're me, how much time you can tolerate spending in the kitchen.) I was most excited about the 20 minute section, because I'm all about getting cooking over as soon as possible. I was hoping for more actual recipes in that section, but the majority of them are simply buying prepared food at the store, so that was kind of disappointing.

I took her salad bar idea and ran with that one night, and I think it was a hit with everyone except my anti-green anything child. I was so focused on getting all the salad bar prep done that I completely forgot to try the Chickpea Socca, so I'll have to make sure to do that another time. 

I think there are a handful of recipes in here that I can have my kids try, which will (hopefully) be fun for them. I also appreciate the color pictures of each dish, so I can know what it's supposed to look like. 

Title: 20-40-60 Minute Dinners
Author: Kate Otterstrom
Publisher: Shadow Mountain Publishing
Published: April 2023
ISBN: 1639931090
Source: I received a review copy from the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.

Purchase: Amazon Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment