Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Review: My Fair Gentleman by Nancy Campbell Allen


My Fair Gentleman
My Fair Gentleman by Nancy Campbell Allen

Book Description:

In this Regency twist of My Fair Lady, Jack would rather be at sea than fixing the mistakes of his grandfather, the late Earl of Stansworth. Instead, he finds that inheriting his grandfather's wealth and title—and securing the welfare of his sister and mother—means joining the ranks of high society and living with the aristocracy. Luckily, Ivy Carlisle, the granddaughter of a dear friend of Jack's late grandmother, is willing to teach him etiquette and properly introduce him into society. Jack soon learns that his challenge isn't surviving his new lifestyle but surviving the conspiracies against him—as well as keeping himself from falling madly in love with his new tutor.

Andrea's Review:

I have been very pleased with Shadow Mountain's Proper Romance novels, and My Fair Gentleman by Nancy Campbell Allen did not disappoint. I got it in the mail on a Monday afternoon and finished the book the next evening (sadly work interrupted finishing as quickly as I would have liked). 

I was immediately pulled into the story. Jack had an appeal right off. I suppose it was a bit of a bad boy attraction (which I haven't really thought of as being my thing, but it worked very well in this story, especially because he wasn't really bad). He was stubborn, but his love for his mother and sister trumped his personal desires, and that definitely added to his appeal.

Ivy was a great character as well. Her sister's shame on the family made a big difference in her life. She tried so hard to be proper and please her parents, but she was also very kindhearted, and that lead her to not fit society's proper mold at times. I loved the interaction she had with her grandmother, and the strength and support that gave her.

It was just an all around great story that I'm excited to read again. 

Tarah's Review:

If you are going to read this book may I suggest that you start it when you have the time to actually finish it, because you are NOT going to want to put it down until you are done.  I started it when I had to keep doing other things, and the annoyance I felt was great.  So learn from my experience, and only start this when you have time to read the whole thing :)

I will say that I didn't love the cover. It's so sad being a cover snob, but honestly, nothing about the cover makes me want to pick this up and read it, except for the tiny blurb up top that says, "A Proper Romance".

It goes without saying that I loved the main characters, but I really enjoyed Jack's best friend and his sister. I'm kind of hoping they get their own book, they were that good....and maybe Pug can play a part in their story too :)

Clean - check. Regency fiction - check. An entertaining read - check. Recommended - check. 

Rorie's Review:

This is NOT the kind of book I typically read. I tend to shy away from books that announce they are romance novels. This was also made very clear to me when my husband saw the cover and teased me to no end about it. :) That being said, I'm so glad I decided to give it a try. This was such an enjoyable book to read. Although I need to google a few words - what on earth is a "pelisse" and a "ton?" 

Reading stories set in Regency times is both fascinating and appalling. I can honestly say that I really related to Jack and his reluctance to enter into the lifestyle of the rich. Granted, manners are always a good thing, but good grief! I know I've said this before, but I am so very, very glad that I was not born way back then.

OK, now to the story. Jack's character is rough, and he's got quite a temper - completely understandable, considering how he grew up and what his grandfather did to his entire family. His complete dedication to his mother and sister is heartwarming. Ivy is such a fun character. I can picture us being friends. :) 

The romance developed perfectly, and it was very believable. All of the characters in the book were brought to life really well. I really liked some and really couldn't stand some others. Definitely a book I would recommend.

My Fair Gentleman Title: My Fair Gentleman
Authors: Nancy Campbell Allen
Publisher: Shadow Mountain
Published: January 2016
ISBN:  162972095X
Source: We received copies from the publisher in exchange for a review.

Purchase: Amazon | Kindle | Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment