Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

Review: Garden Plot by Kristen McKendry

Garden Plot

Book Description:

Finding a body in the garden of her Whole-Life Wellness Center has left social worker Erin Kilpatrick more than a little annoyed. It can’t be good for business to have a dead body in the bush beans—particularly if the one who’s been killed is a paying patient—correction: guest. Even though her first thought was to hide the corpse, Erin does feel sorry for the guest who has checked out permanently from her rehab inn. But her pity turns to alarm when she and Detective Liam Harris dig a little deeper to discover that maybe the dead man isn’t who they think he is. And now she has to deal with a missing guest and a killer on the loose.
Rattled by memories of her husband’s death three years prior, Erin sets about to discover the connection between the dead man and her absent guest. But while conducting her own investigation, she’s also got to juggle a rehab center full of eccentric guests, annoyingly amorous renovators, an enigmatic staff, her struggling teenage daughter, and an orphaned dog. And her keen eye and out-of-boundaries sleuthing catch the attention of Detective Harris in more ways than one, adding the complications of romance to this delightful and dangerous case of fraud, impersonation, and, of course, murder.

Book review:

It's kind of rare for me to read a book that someone hasn't recommended, or if I am unfamiliar with the author. However, I came across Garden Plot and the cover got me interested (because I totally judge a book by its cover) and the synopsis sounded interesting. I'm glad I picked it up. Garden Plot (which I think the title is a clever play on words) was a fun LDS mystery that can be read quite quickly. I loved how Erin always had a hymn in her head. Some of the hymns she picked were just down right hilarious for the situation. I enjoyed the feel of the book. It's a mystery, but it wasn't heavy. Erin had a great personality that was a little quirky and just fun to read. I wish a little more could have been done between her an Liam, but maybe Kristen McKendry is planning on more books with the same characters. The ending left off in a good place, and even though I wanted more, I didn't get the feeling of the book just ending. It was more that I enjoyed myself and was sad to see it end.

Garden Plot

Title: Garden Plot
Author: Kristen McKendry
Publisher: Covenant Communications, Inc.
Published: August 2011
ISBN: 1608612376

No comments:

Post a Comment