Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Review: Audiobook, The Screwtapes Letters & Screwtape Proposes a Toast by C.S. Lewis

I enjoy listening to audiobooks while I work on household projects. I recently downloaded The Screwtape Letters audiobook via Pioneer (Utah's Online Library). It also includes Screwtape Proposes a Toast, and is read by Ralph Cosham (who does an excellent job).

A masterpiece of satire, this classic has entertained and enlightened readers the world over with its sly and ironic portrayal of human life and foibles from the vantage point of Screwtape, a highly placed assistant to "Our Father Below." At once wildly comic, deadly serious, and strikingly original, C. S. Lewis gives us the correspondence of the worldly-wise old devil to his nephew Wormwood, a novice demon in charge of securing the damnation of an ordinary young man.

Even though I can't always give 100% attention to an audiobook, I thoroughly enjoyed Screwtape's letters to Wormwood, and his toast to fellow demons. There was so much food for thought. Many of the demons "tricks" are things/attitudes that I've seen often in my life. This is definitely a book to read (there were so many parts I would have marked).

No comments:

Post a Comment