Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't SayWhat I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This Young Adult novel tells the story of Jake, a high school senior who loses his voice box after a drunken homecoming football celebration. He has many regrets, but the top of his list is that he never told Samantha how he felt about her.

Becoming mute is hard to imagine, but I thought Taylor did an excellent job portraying Jake's emotions (along with those of his family and friends).

The description of Jake's little island town was very well done. Jake's family was also great. I love their support and how his mom had drilled it into his mind that he shouldn't swear.

The lack of parental reprimands after the accident (and with a few other instances in the book) were surprising. It really made me think about how I would react though. Would the injury and becoming mute be more than enough of a punishment?

I work with a bunch of young women in my church, and as much as I enjoyed this story, I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending What I Didn't Say to them. There are a few scenes were Jake and his girlfriend go a bit far (not sex, but why give impressionable young women intimate ideas?).

I've had the opportunity to read several of Keary Taylor's self published books. Her stories are very creative, and the presentation (fewer typos) improves with each novel.

Thank you to NetGalley and Keary Taylor for the opportunity to read What I Didn't Say. If you are interested in winning a copy of What I Didn't Say, enter the giveaway on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment