Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)Grave Mercy by R.L. LaFevers

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The blurb I read via NetGalley for Grave Mercy was pretty intriguing:
"Escaping from the brutality of an arranged marriage, seventeen-year-old Ismae finds sanctuary at the convent of St. Mortain. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts -- and a violent destiny. She will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death -- yet in order to claim her new life, she must be willing to take the lives of others. But how can she deliver Death's vengeance against a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?"

It took me some time to get into the story, but once I focused solely on this book, I enjoyed it. Ismae's journey was such an interesting one. I was happy with her transformation and her discovery about Mortain's wishes.

The characters were well done. LaFevers did a great job making the creepy guys creepy, and the mysterious guys mysterious.

This is a YA romance, which probably explains why the author was pretty vague with some of the romantic details. I'm all for this, even though it left me wondering if a few scenes were more than cuddling and healing (hypothermia treatment-esque).

There is some swearing, talk of mistresses, and intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment