Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Theodore Boone, The Abduction

Theodore Boone, The AbductionTheodore Boone, The Abduction by John Grisham

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I didn't love The Abduction as much as the first Theodore Boone novel. Not that it wasn't well done. It had more of the fast paced, throw the facts out there, parts that a lot of Grisham novels have. I think what bothered me was that somewhere I saw that these books were intended for a very young, pre-teen audience. I have a daughter that will be in that age range very soon, and I felt that this would have been too scary for her.

The focus on the story is the disappearance of Theo's good friend April. It appeared that she was taken from her home in the middle of the night. The main suspect is a distant relative who just escaped from prison. Theo and his friends are on the case to find April, dead or alive.

There was a lot of detective work in this story and just a little bit of legal/courtroom work. It was clean (no profanity and most details on a kid's level), but I wouldn't recommend it to younger kids who would be bothered by the kidnapping and possible murder of a child.

2 comments:

  1. The Abduction is an excellent follow up to Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer. Grisham has a unique ability to express his stories from the viewpoint of a youngster. I got an extra copy of Kid Lawyer for my ten-year old grandson, and he loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I've been really interested in reading! I need to put it on my list.

    ReplyDelete