Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Battle Dress

Battle DressBattle Dress by Amy Efaw

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Battle Dress was quite different from most books I've read, but I really enjoyed being able to see what life is like for a new female cadet at West Point.

Amy Efaw's main character, Andi, was easy to become attached to. The decision to go to West Point isn't one that I would make, but I could definitely understand why Andi needed to get away from her dysfunctional family.

I don't think I'll ever understand the yelling and belittling that comes with armed forces training, but the environment worked for Andi. She was able to discover her individual worth. She made friends, and persevered through all of the trials.

The book was inspiring, even though some parts near the end were a little slow for me.

Reading is risky. Sometimes you can anticipate a scene or situation that you don't want in your brain, and are thus able to skip ahead. But, often horrible words or situations are flung at readers, and there is no protection. I bring this up because Efaw probably could have included these types of things, but SHE DIDN'T. I love how Efaw didn't use profanity!

I'm definitely interested in finding out if the author has written more novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment