Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Book Review: Goodnight, Manger by Laura Sassi Illustrated by Jane Chapman

Goodnight, Manger
Book Description:

Goodnight, Manger, written by Laura Sassi and illustrated by New York Times bestselling artist Jane Chapman, tells the story of Mary and Joseph as they try to lull Jesus to sleep in the noisy stable after his birth. It's bedtime for Baby Jesus, but who knew a manger could be so loud? Mama, Papa, and all of the animals try to lull the baby to sleep, but between itchy hay, angels' joyful hosanas, and three kings bearing noisy gifts, it's just too loud. Until Mama finds a way for everyone to work together to shepherd Baby into peaceful dreams under the twinkling stars.

Book Review:

When I first read Goodnight, Ark I loved it, so I jumped at the change to read Goodnight, Manger.  While it's a cute little story, it fell a little flat for me. Probably because I was thinking it was going to be a Christmas story, but while it uses aspects from the Christmas story, likes angels and wise men and shepherds, it just didn't proclaim the divinity of the Savior like I was expecting and hoping (although, I should have expected that since Goodnight, Ark was the same...just using aspects of the Noah story, but not telling the story).  I'm sure if you go into this story just wanting a cute bedtime book, you will love it. The illustrations are colorful, the words are fun and rhythmic, and my kids really enjoyed it.  I think they really loved the talking animals. I was also a little sad that it wasn't a padded board book like the last time as well. Those are sure a lot more sturdier with my little ones :)

Goodnight, Manger
Title: Goodnight, Manger
Author: Laura Sassi
Illustrator: Jane Chapman
Publisher: Zonderkidz
Published: October 2015
ISBN: 031074556X
Source: I received a copy from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for a review

No comments:

Post a Comment