Pages

Friday, December 11, 2015

Book Review: Sweets & Treats with Six Sister's Stuff


Sweets & Treats with Six Sister's Stuff
100+ Desserts, Gift Ideas, and Traditions for the Whole Family

Book Description:

Who doesn't love dessert? The Six Sisters have gathered together more than 100 of their best dessert recipes into one cookbook that the whole family will enjoy. From cakes and cupcakes and cookies to pies and brownies and ice cream, this cookbook has the easy-to-make, family-friendly recipes you've come to expect from the Six Sisters.

Along with the sweet treats you can make at home are dozens of gift ideas and at-home craft projects that will help you make the most of your desserts. Learn how to make cake stands, start new traditions around birthdays and holidays, and prepare simple but memorable gifts for friends and neighbors.

Full-color photographs of each recipe and craft bring every mouth-watering treat to life.

Review:

The six sisters of SixSistersStuff.com really know how to make delicious food. I love their recipe book A Year With Six Sisters' Stuff, and jumped at the chance to review their newest cookbook, Sweets & Treats with Six Sisters' Stuff. 

I'm a sucker for treats (which is totally catching up to me as I get older, but I digress), and this cookbook has some great recipes. Some of the recipes are more involved than others, and I appreciated that variety. Sometimes you have hours to bake, and other times you need something that you can throw together in 15 minutes. This is also a very visually appealing cookbook. Each recipe has a full-color picture of the finished product! It is so helpful to know what it should look like. 

I've tried several recipes so far, and my favorite is actually the very first recipe in the book. The Cake Mix Cookie Bars are so delicious (it's hard to go wrong with sweetened condensed milk), and they were very easy to make. I will definitely be making these again.

I also made the Cheesecake Brownies. These were also fairly easy to put together, and my co-workers loved them. I was a little worried while they were baking that they didn't look anything like the picture, but once I cut them they looked right. And honestly, they were so yummy no one seemed to care what they looked like.

Image Courtesy of the Publisher
The Oreo Cheesecake Bites were also a big hit at my home and office. They are very rich, so you could get quite a few "bites" out of the 9x13 pan.

I've made two of the cookie recipes so far. The Butterscotch Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies are the first pudding cookies I've ever made. I'm not a butterscotch fan, but my husband loves it, so I really made these with him in mind. The dough was very crummy, and although it seemed ok and tasted fine when I test cooked one cookie (that I'd smooshed together), I ended up adding more butter to make the dough easier to work with.

I also made the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake Cookies. Part of the draw to these was that they reminded me of my grandma. One of the ingredients is Jiffy Raspberry Muffin Mix, and my grandma always had Jiffy mixes at her house. I loved helping her in the kitchen, and it was often my job to mix up the muffins. The cookie dough requires chilling, so they aren't as quick of a cookie recipe as I prefer, but they are tasty. Mine tended to break when plated. I'm not sure if that's standard or if I cooked them a bit too long.

Overall this is another great cookbook by Six Sisters Stuff. I'm excited to add it to my recipe collection, and my family and co-workers are anxious to taste test the next recipes I try.

Image Courtesy of the Publisher

Image Courtesy of the Publisher
Purchase: Amazon | Deseret Book

No comments:

Post a Comment