Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

CD Review: My Home Can Be a Holy Place by Jenny Oaks Baker



My Home Can Be a Holy Place by Jenny Oaks Baker

CD Description:

From one of the world's premier violinists comes a new collection of beautiful songs celebrating family and motherhood. The album features classic hymns, such as "Love at Home" and "I Am a Child of God," stunning classical arrangements, including Brahms's "Cradle Song," and beloved children's tunes. The gorgeous track "Love Is Spoken Here" features Jenny performing with all four of her children, ages eleven and younger.

Track list:


  • Love at Home
  • Jesus Once Was a Little Child
  • Songs My Mother Taught Me
  • I Feel My Savior's Love
  • Brahms's Cradle Song
  • I Am a Child of God
  • Love Is Spoken Here


  • Rorie's Review:

    I have heard of Jenny Oaks Baker before, but for some reason, I thought she was a vocalist, so I was really surprised when I started listening to the CD and found that she is a violinist instead. Not that I minded, because I really, really enjoyed this CD. I don't even think I can pick a favorite song, because they were all really good. Definitely one that will go into my music rotation. 

    Tarah's Review:

    This is a really calming music CD. In fact, just last night my kids were extremely wound up and crazy right before bed. I decided to put on this CD, and the kids calmed down and were able to go to bed without much fuss.  I'd recommend it for some easy listening Sunday music, or calm the kids down and put them to bed music. I kind of see it as a lullaby CD.

    Andrea's Review:

    This instrumental CD is great background music, especially on a Sunday. I'll admit I was expecting singing to accompany most of the familiar songs (I suppose because I've rarely heard most of these songs without the lyrics), and the violin gives the songs a different feel than the piano (somewhat melancholy), so it was a different sound than I was expecting. But, it didn't take long to enjoy the songs. The CD is a little over 30 minutes long, so shuffle and repeat is a good way to listen to it.

    About Jenny Oaks Baker:

    Grammy Nominated Artist Jenny Oaks Baker is one of America's most accomplished violinists. She received her Master of Music degree from the renowned Juilliard School in New York City and her bachelor's degree in violin performance from the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia.

    She has released twelve albums since 1998. They consistently chart on Billboard, including the #1 spot on the Top Classical Albums chart. Her album Wish Upon a Star earned a nomination for the 54th GRAMMY Awards for Best Pop Instrumental Album.

    Jenny Oaks Baker has performed as a soloist at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, and with the Jerusalem Symphony, Pittsburgh Symphony, Utah Symphony, and the internationally acclaimed Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Jenny performed as a first violinist with the National Symphony Orchestra for seven years before resigning to devote more time to her young family. Jenny and her husband Matthew have four children.


    Title: My Home Can Be a Holy Place
    Music Performed By: Jenny Oaks Baker
    Label: Shadow Mountain Records
    Released: September 2015
    ASIN: B00YJ1GZF0
    Source: We received CDs in exchange for a review.

    Purchase: Amazon | Deseret Book

     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment