Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

Book Review: My Home Can Be a Holy Place by Kristen M. Oaks Illustrated by Dan Burr

My Home Can Be a Holy Place

Book Description:

Our homes can become holy places that prepare children to grow up in the Lord (D&C 109:15). This children s picture book tells the story of Lily, a young girl who is helping to make her home a holy place by the things she does each day. The engaging illustrations by LDS artist Dan Burr depict Lily s family in various settings that show how children can contribute to the spiritual environment in their home as they say their prayers, work together, read the scriptures, eat dinner as a family, make good decisions, observe the Sabbath day, participate in family home evening, share the gospel, and learn to love one another. Parents will find additional helps and resources to reinforce these concepts on the author s website. These resources are designed specifically to complement the themes presented in the book.

Tarah's Book Review:

I was expecting a bed time book for my children, I think. I would consider this more of a study guide for the entire family. Maybe not study guide, maybe a lesson book, or a discussion starter anyway.  I can see how this book could be used for Family Home Evenings and for Family Council. If used correctly I could see it generating some good conversation, and a way to involve your children's ideas into your family.

While I love the idea of this book, and the quotations like, "No other work transcends that of righteous, intentional parenting" by Russell M. Nelson, I really don't see my children picking this up to read just because.  Just to sit down and read with my children my younger ones attention spans would be gone quite quickly if we were to just read it with no discussion. My older children might sit through the whole thing, but I doubt they would pick it up again and again.

One thing I loved was at the end of the book they gave a website for more helps and ideas. I just quickly browsed through it, but it looks like it could be really useful.

So if you are looking for ways to be more intentional with your family, and need some ideas, you might want to take a look at this book.

Rorie's Book Review:

I sat down with my 4-year-olds and read this book to them, and while they sat and listened to the whole thing, I think their attention started to wander before we finished. I like this book, but it is something that you would read one or two pages at a time and then discuss, rather than reading it as a story from start to finish.

I like the artwork and also like how each page has a little blurb at the top, giving a different way to make our home a holy place. I can see my kids using topics in this book to give a Family Home Evening lesson.

My Home Can Be a Holy Place
Title: My Home Can Be a Holy Place
Author: Kristen M. Oaks
Illustrator: Dan Burr
Publisher: Deseret Book Company
Published: September 2015
ISBN: 9781629720999
Source: We received a copies from the publisher in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment