Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Book Review: Girls Who Choose God by McArthur Krishna and Bethany Brady Spalding

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91HE7at4QcL.jpg 

Book Description:

Shining light on strong women from the Book of Mormon, this groundbreaking book shares well-known stories alongside others that may be less familiar. Come to better know and love Sariah, the heroic daughters from Zeniff, Nephi s wife, the maidservant spy, and other women from the Book of Mormon who chose God with all their might. These faith-filled women defended their families, protected their husbands, and risked their lives for others providing powerful role models for us all. With stunning illustrations, ten compelling narratives, and thought-provoking family discussion questions, this follow-up to the Bible volume of Girls Who Choose God will give you a new perspective on the Book of Mormon. Reading and reflecting on these brave women s stories, girls and boys will learn that they too can be strong and choose God. 

Rorie's Review:

At first glance, one wouldn't think that I would be very interested in reading this book. I have four sons after all, and no daughters. But I reminded myself that these sons of mine will one day grow up and marry girls, so it would be good for them to learn about strong women in the scriptures too.

This book is divided up into sections describing several different Book of Mormon women and the challenges that they faced. At the end of each section, the reader is asked a question, such as "When have you been brave for your beliefs?" I really like how this gives the reader a chance to ponder their own lives and see if there are any areas they can work on (and lets be honest, we all have areas we can work on.)

I can see using this book for Family Home Evenings, as well as day-to-day teaching moments with each of my kids. I've read this with my younger two kids and look forward to reading it with my older two as well.

Tarah's Review:

I was excited about this book for my daughters (I know, I know...I'm being sexist here) so I was extremely surprised when my eight year old son read the book and said, "This is really good!" So, there you have it, it isn't just for girls :)

This isn't a sit down and read it all in one setting (unless your kids are really really great at sitting still and listening to non-fiction stories). This is more of pick a couple and talk about them.

I can't wait to use it for FHE and or other lessons for my whole family. 

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91HE7at4QcL.jpg Title: Girls Who Choose God
Author: McArthur Krishna and Bethany Brady Spalding
Illustrator: Kathleen Peterson
Publisher: Deseret Book Company
Published: October 2015
ISBN: 1629721018
Source: We received a copy from the publisher in exchange for a review.  

Purchase: Deseret Book Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment