Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Book Review: A Love Like Ours by Becky Wade

A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)

Book Description:

Former Marine Jake Porter has far deeper scars than the one that marks his face. He struggles with symptoms of PTSD, lives a solitary life, and avoids relationships.

When Lyndie James, Jake’s childhood best friend, lands back in Holley, Texas, Jake cautiously hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds. Lyndie is tender-hearted, fiercely determined, and afraid of nothing, just like she was as a child. Jake pairs her with Silver Leaf, a horse full of promise but lacking in results, hoping she can solve the mystery of the stallion’s reluctance to run.

Though Jake and Lyndie have grown into very different adults, the bond that existed during their childhood still ties them together. Against Jake’s will, Lyndie’s sparkling, optimistic personality begins to tear down the walls he’s built around his heart. A glimmer of the hope he’d thought he’d lost returns, but fears and regrets still plague him. Will Jake ever be able to love Lyndie like she deserves, or is his heart too shattered to mend?


Book Review:

This is my first book by Becky Wade (even though it's the third book in the Porter Family series), and I've got to say, "Why haven't I read her sooner?" Sometimes I get stuck (although, since I enjoy it I don't feel stuck) reading one genre, and when I branch out to something different I remember how much I like that genre in the first place. Really, there is nothing better than clean contemporary romance...unless it's clean regency...or clean fantasy....or clean, well, you get the picture. Apparently I'm not a genre snob as long as it's clean :)

Speaking of being a snob though, let's take a look at the cover, because I am a cover snob.  Isn't this cover beautiful? Seriously, I love what she's wearing, and would wear it if I could find it. I don't love his shirt, I'll admit, but it's an eye catching lovely cover. And what makes it even better is the content inside.

As far a it being christian fiction, it isn't over the top or preachy. Yes, it's there, Lyndie's family motto is, "God is good", but nothing is shoved down your throat. Content wise, there is kissing, but it's kept pretty clean. Nothing made me uncomfortable and I don't think I'd have a problem with my teenage niece reading it.

I loved the main characters (and the secondary ones as well). Jake is different from most of the leading males I typically enjoy. I think what I enjoyed most was that he was so real. The struggles and hardships he was going through emotionally while still trying to hang on to reality and who he thought he needed to be was super touching.

I would definitely recommend this to others and add it to my own collection.

A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)
Title: A Love Like Ours
Author: Becky Wade
Publisher: Bethany House
Published: May 2015
ISBN:  0764211099
Source: I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment