Pages

Monday, September 29, 2014

Book Review: Prelude for a Lord by Camille Elliot

Prelude for a Lord

Book Description:

An awkward young woman. A haunted young man. A forbidden instrument. Can the love of music bring them together . . . or will it tear them apart?

Bath, England—1810

At twenty-eight, Alethea Sutherton is past her prime for courtship; but social mores have never been her forté. She might be a lady, but she is first and foremost a musician.

In Regency England, however, the violin is considered an inappropriate instrument for a lady. Ostracized by society for her passion, Alethea practices in secret and waits for her chance to flee to the Continent, where she can play without scandal.

But when a thief’s interest in her violin endangers her and her family, Alethea is determined to discover the enigmatic origins of her instrument . . . with the help of the dark, brooding Lord Dommick.

Scarred by war, Dommick finds solace only in playing his violin. He is persuaded to help Alethea, and discovers an entirely new yearning in his soul.

Alethea finds her reluctant heart drawn to Dommick in the sweetest of duets . . . just as the thief’s desperation builds to a tragic crescendo . . .


Book Review:

Sigh....You know you have just read a good book when it's over and you keep thinking about it. Prelude for a Lord was just what I wanted. It had all the elements that made me happy. Alethea and Dommick are great, not perfect (because where would be the fun in reading that?), which made me like them even more. The mystery had me guessing the who's and why's. The crotchety Aunt and Margaret are great secondary characters, and I couldn't help but love Raven and Ian. In fact, I loved them so much I'm really really hoping Elliot will write books about them. I'd love to know more about why they tick. Raven is proper and Ian is crazy fun and the bond between Raven, Ian, and Dommick is fun to be a part of.  I'm even curious about David. Let's give him a book too! I'd even love a book about Margaret when she grows up. Considering the handful she was she's got to be interesting years later :) Don't you think the secondary characters really make or break a novel? These guys are awesome. Not only are the characters great, but I learned stuff. I had no idea playing the violin was considered improper for a woman to play. It's always seemed like a very feminine instrument to me (not to say that guys shouldn't play it) so that was eye opening. Did I mention that the cover is totally gorgeous to? Kudos for the designer there.
There were two things that I struggled with slightly. The first is that parts of the novel did seem to drag a little bit, but this could very well be that I just really wanted to know how it was all going to end up. And the other thing I'm hesitant to mention because it makes me sound silly, but I really got confused with all the names Dommick had: Bayard Terralton, Baron Dommick, Bay, Lord Dommick, Mr. Terralton, and I'm probably missing some. I know it's accurate and common when you had titles, but heavens I got lost a few times at the beginning.
This book was clean, and well written. If you like regency romance I would highly recommend this book. I would buy it for my own bookshelf, and I would read it again and again.  Camille Elliot is and author to watch.

Prelude for a Lord
Title: Prelude for a Lord
Author: Camille Elliot
Publisher: Zondervan
Published: August 2014
ISBN: 0310320356
Source: I received an eCopy from Booklook Bloggers in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment