Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

2012 Whitney Award Finalists - Romance Category

It's that time of year again! Earlier this month the 2012 Whitney Award Finalists were announced. There is an additional category this year (Middle Grade), bringing the finalist total to 40. I took on a challenge last year to read all 35 finalists prior to the voting deadline, so I was able to vote for each category, along with best novel of the year and best novel by a new author.

I've read 18 of the 2012 finalists so far, but I'm not sure that I'll get all of them read by the April 29th deadline. And I'm ok with this. Hopefully I'll take more time to enjoy the books that most appeal to me.

The category I'm completely finished with so far is Romance (this probably doesn't come as a surprise-I'm a sucker for a good, clean romance).

Lady Outlaw Of Grace and Chocolate Smart Move Twitterpated Edenbrooke
Stacy Henrie* Krista Lynne Jensen* Melanie Jacobson Melanie Jacobson Julianne Donaldson*

While I enjoyed all of these books (you can click the titles to see my individual reviews), I absolutely LOVED Edenbrooke! It captured my attention right off, and held it the entire time! The writing is smooth and the story is entertaining (and totally sweet). I also really like how it appeals to a national audience, and does so without any questionable content.

If you are looking for a good book to read, consider picking one of the 2012 Whitney Award finalists.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that Edenbrooke was the best one. I can't decide if I liked Lady Outlaw more than Melanie Jacobson's books or not. I like all three of them. I wasn't a big fan of Of Grace and Chocolate. Until I reread your review I couldn't even remember what it was about, only that I had "eh" feelings toward it. I will say this about Smart Move though; you mentioned in your review that you didn't know how you felt about Jake at the end. I think that's why I liked the book so much. In her other novels the girls all had things they needed to figure out while the guy patiently (or not so patiently) waits for her to figure things out. While Sandy had stuff to figure out, it wasn't the source of the conflict in the book. Jake was the problem even though he was trying to be the hero. Anyway, those are my two bits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great thoughts Tarah. I'm a sucker for happy endings, and with Smart Move I just didn't trust Jake when all was said and done. I like to trust both parties in a relationship (fictional or otherwise) so I can feel like they'll live happily ever after. ;)

      Delete