Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Review: Take My Heart by Marie Higgins

Switching roles and the pursuit of freedom come together in the hunt to discover who can be trusted and who is really the traitor during the Colonial times. Mercedes Maxwell’s sister’s last wish was for Mercedes to find evidence against Kat’s husband, William Braxton, and have him hung as a traitor to the crown. Mercedes isn’t naïve when it comes to capturing traitors, because her own deceased husband had once been an agent for the King when they lived in England.

When she meets William Braxton for the first time, all is not as it seems. Portraying her twin, Mercedes knows this is the only way to get close enough to William to discover his secrets. What she finds along the way are little surprises she hadn’t counted on, especially when she begins to give her heart to a man who may be a spy against the crown.

I haven't read very many books that take place in the Colonial Period, but being a fan of historical fiction in general, I was excited to read Take My Heart. The author, Marie Higgins, refers to her books as "sweet historical romances." I think that is a great way to describe Take My Heart. It was a bit lighter on historical details than I was anticipating, but I did get a feel for both sides of the political issues of the time. This was unique because most of what I've read during this time period only focuses on the Patriots' viewpoint. The Loyalists' side was very interesting to read about.

Mercy's character was very likeable (and so opposite from her sister). Her kindness to William's children was endearing and her actions were selfless. Even pretending to be her sister was done in honor of her loyalty to her country and her family. I also appreciated that she was open minded, and was able to change direction when she saw a better way.

The cover image had me a little concerned about the content, but I thought Higgins did a nice job of not dwelling on certain aspects that other authors tend to give too much detail to. For example, a married couple has intercourse, but other than knowing that it happened, there are no details. I appreciate being left outside the door for moments like that.

I'm looking forward to reading more of Marie Higgins' books, especially to see how she writes about other historical periods.

*I received an e-copy of Take My Heart in exchange for a review.

4 comments:

  1. I read this on Wattpad and was pleasantly surprised...what with the cover and all...and because I started another one of hers, and it got a little much for me. So, I'm glad this one was more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great review! So now I'm curious...what's wrong with the cover? lol I thought the cover was 'sweet' enough. Guess not. But I'm happy you liked the story. And anytime you want another story to read / review, I have plenty! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always a little wary of covers that have very much skin since most of them usually include content I'd rather not read. I'm glad this wasn't the case with this book.

      Delete
  3. The cover matches her sisters character in the story, so it fits really well...but if you judge a book by it's cover (which I normally do) it makes the book look like there is going to be a lot of inappropriate content in it. If Wattpad didn't rate their books, I probably never would have picked it up.

    ReplyDelete