Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Review: Caribbean Crossroads by Connie E. Sokol

New college grad Megan McCormick just got dumped. Hard.

Swearing off men and relationships, Megan is coaxed into performing on a cruise ship where she meets the star performer, Bryant Johnson. Handsome and charismatic, he looks like trouble, but she can't deny the intense attraction between them.

Urged to find a wife and run the family lumber business, Bryant is torn between his family's expectations for his life and his own. However, when he meets spunky, but love-skittish Megan McCormick, settling down doesn't look so bad.

Just when Megan begins to trust again, and Bryant makes some big decisions regarding his future, her former fiance returns with a malicious surprise, taking Megan and Bryant to their own CARIBBEAN CROSSROADS.


I read a review for Caribbean Crossroads that said you will either like it or love it. I completely agree (especially since talking to my sister who fell in the latter category).

I really liked Caribbean Crossroads initially. When I thought the nice ship romance was about to be wrapped up, I checked to see how much was left (progress is not as obvious with an e-book). Much to my surprise I saw that I was only on Chapter 11 (of 23).

The following 10 chapters were frustrating for me because Megan's last relationship wound wasn't healing. Even though it was a defense mechanism, she was very mean to Bryant. I really wanted him to move on and find someone else that wasn't so much work.

Thankfully, there was a happy ending. And Sokol deserves points for being able to bring out emotions in her readers (even if my predominant emotion for half the book was frustration).

1 comment: