Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Heaven is Here

Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday JoyHeaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy by Stephanie Nielson

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

Like several other readers, I'm torn on my rating for Heaven Is Here. Stephanie Nielson's story is in fact "an incredible story of hope, triumph, and everyday joy". The overall message is great, even though the presentation left me with some questions and feeling a little conflicted.

Stephanie and her husband (along with his flight instructor) were in a small plane crash. Her body was burned over 80%, her husband 30%, and the instructor died from his injuries. Stephanie was in a medically induced coma for four months, and her recovery has been extremely painful. Not only physically, but emotionally as she didn't want to see herself, and was initially rejected by two of her children.

I can't even imagine how hard this situation would be. Stephanie is a popular blogger, and through her fans and the tremendous support of family and friends, her life has been extremely blessed. She had many down days, but I really loved what she wrote at the end:

"Happiness was my choice, and though it is hard won, I am the only person who can stand in the way of it. As I gradually accepted my responsibility to choose happiness every day, I rediscovered the beautiful life I had always wanted. I still have to remind myself to choose happiness almost every morning when I wake up in pain, and I expect I will need reminding throughout my life, but the amazing thing is the more I make the choice to see and feel joy, the more joy there is to see and to feel."

Such a great thought that can apply to every person in any situation.

1 comment:

  1. This book will make you cry, but it's far from a "sob story" as you can get. Stephanie's ability to connect with her readers personally is unsurpassed, as is evidenced by the popularity of her blog as well. This is a truly inspirational story not just about recovering from a horrific accident, but about accepting life as it is now and sharing the glory of that with those around you.

    Thank you, Stephanie. I have been so touched by your book. I truly feel I am a better person from reading it.

    ReplyDelete