Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Same Kind of Different as Me

Same Kind of Different as Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them TogetherSame Kind of Different as Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

My sister's book club recently read this. She liked it, and since I checked the book out for her (her library's hold list was very long), I decided to read it before I returned it.

The chapters alternate between Denver (a modern-day slave) and Ron (an art dealer). The initial chapters tell about their lives before they meet. They were pretty interesting, although I could read a chapter or two and walk away for a day or so. Once they met, the story held my attention much better.

I glanced at a few other reviews and was surprised at the varied reactions to this touching story. It made me second guess selecting this for my book club's discussion next month, but I'm going to go forward with it anyway. It would probably be impossible to pick a book that everyone liked, and having different opinions is what makes a discussion good.

Several things in the book touched me deeply. Deborah really did seem like an angel. Just being able to forgive her husband for his infidelity was HUGE. But that was just one of many things she did that were praiseworthy. I also liked how Ron and Denver didn't excuse or sugarcoat their downfalls. They seemed straightforward about them, and their transformations were amazing.

While this isn't like many of the books I really enjoy, I think it's worth 5 stars in part because it is true. The authors took the time to share their stories, illustrating how people can find happiness in serving and loving others (especially by overlooking our differences).

No comments:

Post a Comment